Author Topic: No swaddle causing short naps  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Grace's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 142
  • Oh Trader Joes, How I Love You
No swaddle causing short naps
« on: October 06, 2006, 14:40:44 pm »
We just weaned Grace from the swaddle (she was rolling in it and it was getting dangerous).  She will fall asleep fine with out the swaddle but wakes up now after only 30 minutes and we were actually have good naps prior to this.  We tried a sleep sack but she is too wiggly and thought it was a game and wouldn't fall asleep, plus it is too hot here. 

Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Melissa
I am so in love with my husband and adore my precious Grace

Grace April 2006
Blog: http://graceadelyn.blogspot.com/

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: No swaddle causing short naps
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 14:44:35 pm »
How long has it been? It may just take some time for her to get used to it. We didn't swaddle after 5 weeks as DD hated it but did use a sleep positioner. When we had to take it away (same reasons as you listed) it was a crazy week or so with bad/short naps but it settled down without too much trouble.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Grace's Mom

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 15:04:01 pm »
Thanks.  She just woke after 30 minutes and then became over tired along with teething and cried and cried no matter what I did.  I even tried to swaddle her and she was too overtired.  I feel so bad for her. It has only been about 1.5 days since we weaned it so it is fairly new.  I guess she will just need to get use to it.  I just hate to see tears rolling down her face.   :'( :'( :'(

Grace April 2006

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 15:21:33 pm »
I know it's hard but try not to go back to the swaddle - it will only make it harder on you both. Can you put her down for naps sooner for now if she's overtired? Does she have a lovey? If not, introducing one now might help.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Grace's Mom

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 15:32:16 pm »
She does have a lovey....a pink stuffed kitty.   She is just such a wiggle worm and never stops moving, never.  The crazy thing is she is already going down for naps earlier than normal due to an early morning waking (teething, etc.) and trouble going back to sleep afterwards.  Oh, to only have one nap and sleep all the way through the night.   ;)  I guess it will just be a rough couple of days...hopefully only a couple.

Melissa

Grace April 2006

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 15:40:43 pm »
Big hugs and try to hang in there. How early is she going down for her first nap? I'd delay the first nap until 2.5 hours after waking in the morning so as not to reinforce early wakings. If she has a bad/short first nap you can make the second A time shorter. She'll get used to it - it just takes time.

Offline Grace's Mom

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 15:55:48 pm »
She was staying up 2.5 hours for her first A time and then teething started.  Once all of that began it was hard to keep her up 2 hours.  Today right at the two hour mark I laid her down and she passed out 30 seconds later.  Her naps always seem to even themselves out and she usually gets 3-4 hours worth of naps during the day.  I have been trying to keep her up, but she just starts crying and rubbing her eyes.  She does however stay awake a bit longer for her 2nd and 3rd awake time (if naps are OK).

Grace April 2006

shimzy

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 16:22:18 pm »
Wow Grace'smOm your going through alot! Not only is she at the 6mnth mark (growth spurt) but she's teething and maybe getting ready to crawl?  If I may suggest try watching clues a little bit closer, she may be able to make it to the 2 hour mark...  but does she need lots more wind down time because she is getting more active?

Try not to keep her up too long. If she's tired she's tired. Just make sure you feed her at the regular times (remember not to let her sleep through an eating cycle). Maybe try winding her down 20 mins before nap time and see if that helps? 

Offline Grace's Mom

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 19:19:40 pm »
She does make it to the 2 hour mark, it's just tough some times.  It's getting her to any longer that is the really hard part.

Our 2nd nap was worse than the first.  It took 10 minutes to settle her.  She just kept rolling on to her belly and then crying because she doesn't like to be on her belly.  She finally fell asleep and then woke 15 minutes later.  She will NOT go back to sleep and she is miserable and in return so am I.  :'(  :'(
-I keep going in there and she is on her belly.  When I flip her over she just swings her arms and legs wildly.   ::)

We'll keep you updated.

Grace April 2006

Offline Grace's Mom

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 13:35:58 pm »
DH and I have decided to go back to the swaddle and wean it gradually.  She just wasn't use to having all of that freedom.  We have both legs out (they have been out for months) and now one arm out.  We do have to hold it down to get her settled while she falls asleep.  She has been sleeping better (most of the time) so we have been a bit happier and think we made the right decision. She just wasn't ready for cold turkey.

She was able to stay awake 2.5 hours the other day for one A time so that was progress.  I think it's the teething night wakings that are making it hard to stay awake in the am.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Melissa

Grace April 2006

Offline tabyfaye

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • I was created for Motherhood!
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 14:24:52 pm »
When I weaned my Ayla off the Swaddle... I layed on on her side to sleep. With her arm pinned and her cheek next to the mattress I think she felt secure, similar to a swaddle. I also made small fuzzy blankets and tucked her in essentially from the shoulds down, not tight at all, but again enought to feel cuddled and secure... she weaned off the swaddle gracefully with this technique. It may be worth a try.

Offline Grace's Mom

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 14:41:18 pm »
Thank you Tabyfaye.  :D

Grace April 2006