Author Topic: 4 MO waking for dummy up to 10 times!!  (Read 1177 times)

Offline silverbullet23

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • My beautiful daughter at 3 months!
« on: October 09, 2006, 11:11:07 am »
I have no idea what to do about my 4 and a half month old daughter who used to sleep very well and most times, sleep through the night. just recently though, she has started waking up to 10 times in the night foe her dummy to be put back in! I no longer feed her in the night and she doesn't scream for a feed when she wakes so shes used to it, but I'm gettin so much broken sleep, I'm at my wits end!! Please HELP!!!!

Offline albertasweetpea

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
  • Our Dolly Molly - October 2007
Re: 4 MO waking for dummy up to 10 times!!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 13:41:38 pm »
Awwwwwwwww love your avatar...what a sweetie pie!!  ;D

I can't remember way back to when DD was 4 months but is your DD able to get her dummy back in her mouth herself?? Seems she would be a bit young to do that now that I think of it... :-[
I was going to suggest putting a few dummies in the crib so that when she wakes she can feel around and find it herself (that's what we do for Molly) but won't work at 4 months.  ::)
Have you tried leaving her for a minute or two to fuss it out? Not CIO, just a minute or two to see if she will fall back asleep on her own? Sorry I can't be much help, that's all I can think of for now.
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ HUGS }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Sleep deprivation is just no fun at all!!
~Michelle (Spruce Grove, AB, Canada)

[img=http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/rooby-rooby-roo/BW2ndAnnivAva.png=http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/rooby-rooby-roo/BW2ndAnnivAva.png]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/rooby-rooby-roo/BW2ndAnnivAva.png[/img]
[url=http://www.baby-gaga.com/][img=http://tickers.baby-gag

Offline silverbullet23

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 15:21:57 pm »
Awww thanks hun, shes my little babe! Love ur daughter in her lil outfit btw hee hee!! Thanks for the tips. yeh i've tried waiting a few minutes to see if she goes back off but 9 times out of 10, she continues to fuss. Hmmm, through the day she can get her dummy back in but as u can imagine, she hasnt completely mastered it yet but thats a good idea with the dummies in the cot, ill try it and see!!
Thanks for ur response xxx

Offline torontomamma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 12
  • A day at the beach!
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 00:49:41 am »
Sounds like it has become a prop, same thing happened with my DD and around the same age... it seems I accidentaly got her hooked on her dummy.  I ended up having to help her sleep without it, because I knew it would be a long time yet before she could find it herself.  It took a couple of days, but it really helped. I reintroduced it a couple months later, now she will still take it or leave it.

I started in the morning and made sure she had all her naps without it, and then did pat/shhh for the night wakings.  It was a tought couple of days, but definately worth it.  There is a lot of info in the props board if you are interested.

Good luck!
Jaime
Jaime - Toronto, Canada

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline M and N's Mom

• Sari - Mom to 2 Spirited Kids!
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • They're growing up so fast!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 19:56:49 pm »
My DS was right around the same age when we had the same problem.  We took his away cold turkey and used pat/shh and pu/pd to teach him independent sleep.  It was a rough road but it worked.  There is a lot of help on the Props or the Pick Up/Put Down board if you decide to take it away.

Offline silverbullet23

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 08:24:01 am »
Thankyou both for your advide! I will definately take a look at the props board and see what sort of things I'd like to try. I definately thing my daughter is addicted to her dummy, she must have it throughout the day for her naps or she gets tetchy and fusses alot but i have discussed with my partner about taking it away from her. We tried taking it out of her mouth once she had fallen asleep but that didnt seem to work. I have cracked getting her to fall asleep by herself I just hope that with all the advide, I can get her to fall asleep alone without it. Thanks again xxxx

Offline torontomamma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 12
  • A day at the beach!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 13:11:19 pm »
I would suggest to start with the easier stuff... I started by not giving it to her when she was awake, then for naps, then for night time.  Maybe try decreasing it gradually over a few days and then take it away - might help soften the impact...

Good luck!
Jaime - Toronto, Canada

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline silverbullet23

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 13:26:59 pm »
Yeah i agree, with her still being so young I dont want to risk her feeling insecure and unsafe. So yeah, I'll give whatever i can a go!!