Author Topic: Problems implementing EASY for 5 week old  (Read 816 times)

Offline kin

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Problems implementing EASY for 5 week old
« on: October 10, 2006, 14:27:38 pm »
Hello there,
my 5 week LO (daughter) weighs approx. 10.5 lbs and is on the following "schedule"

8AM - E - approx. 5 oz formula
A: bath
9am S - this lasts about 40 mins max...very grunty, whiny in sleep
10 am - 11am ??? What do i do with this time?

11am - E - 5oz F
A: 10 - 20mins
s: maybe 45 mins if i'm lucky
1pm - 2pm? what to do?

2pm - e 5 oz f
A: 10 - 20 mins
s: 45 mins maybe
4pm - 5pm? what to do?

5ish: e 5 oz f
a: 10 - 2O mins
S: down to bed

I then schedule feed her at 8ish...and then let her sleep until she is done...
her night feeds are as follows:
12ish - 3oz f ...straight to sleep right after
4ish - 3 oz f...straight to sleep right after
6AM - 7.30AM - she's tired...very very fussy...sleeps in bed with me for this time period

What am i doing wrong? I'm also finding it hard to make her go the full 3 hours between feeds - she's drinking around 5 oz per feed during the 'day'...is this too much? she'd go every 2.5 hours if i let her but i'm worried that she's over feeding. So right now at 5 weeks old, she's taking in around 30 oz formula a day...

I need help figuring out her naps...she will NOT go for more then 45 mins at all, no matter how much sh/pt i do.
Please advise!

Offline owelley

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 57
  • You took the fall and thought of me above all.
    • www.chordpower.com
Re: Problems implementing EASY for 5 week old
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 15:13:46 pm »
Hello Kin,

what do you do for wind down??  I would do a longer wind down just to set the mood.  Approximately 20 min before the actual nap time.  If your lo wakes early from her nap.  Do a light activity before the next E.  Don't sweat it too much that the times are not the perfect EASY.  Just make sure the sequence is consistent.  I also would do a dreamfeed at 11pm.  Just to get her thru the night.  You could also w2s and hour before her usual times she wakes to feed.  You could also cluster feed before bedtime jsut to make sure she gets alot of milk before bed.  Maybe another feed at 6pm around 3 oz if she'll take any and ofcourse she has another feed at 8.  Keep her awake during this feed and let her sleep afterwards.  5 or 6 ounces at 11 for her df could possibly cut those 12 and 4 am feedings.  At her age, she may still need to feed at night for a period of time.   Here is a link to w2s

WAKE TO SLEEP

here is a sleep interview with TRacy Hogg

SLEEP INTERVIEW WITH TRACY
Blessed beyond measure.

Offline chrissy5050

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Problems implementing EASY for 5 week old
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 18:30:00 pm »
I was gong to suggest the same increase the time you spend winding down for naps.  Also if she wakes early first try to leave her in her crib for a few minutes each day.Mine fusses a little and grunts first then if he doesn't fall back to sleep right away he cries like crazy for a minute or two then stops to listen and see if we are comming.  Then he fusses again and sometimes after 3-5 minutes he stops and falls back to sleep unless he is starving.  He started to sooths himself and now even entertains himself a bit before major tantrums :)  I found he was getting worse with me going in to shhsh pat.  He cried longer and harder when he saw me. Now I leave him in there for a bit and more often then not he puts himself back down for a longer nap.  If I even open his door forget about it.. P.s. he is 9 weeks but I started this at about 6 weeks. 

Anywho if she is still crying and you get her up early do a quiet activity until it is time to eat or she is hungry.  Your schedule looks great excpet for finding ways to extend time in her crib and napping.  Good Luck I would love to hear what you do and how it works out for you both if you have time let us know.  Christina