Author Topic: please help us get back on track  (Read 898 times)

Offline 2uncmoms

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 10, 2006, 16:32:16 pm »
our son is 3 months and 3 weeks old. He breastfed with a few BM bottles while I am at work. He has basically been a text book baby. We think he is in the beginning stages of teething. He is on a 3 hour EASY schedule. We try to leave the house with him at 6:30 a.m. He wakes up to eat around 5 a.m. every day and then we put him back to bed and he sleeps til we get him up leave by 7 a.m. He naps any where from 20 mins - 2 hours. It varys. He gets 4-6 oz when he has a bottle and just from one side when I am with him.
He was sleeping beautifully. We would put him to sleep at his last feeding and he would wake up time during the night because of a forceful poop. We would change his diaper or just give him a pacifier and then right back to sleep. Well, the last few days have not been like that at all. He has consistenly been getting up at 2 or 2:30 a.m. He doesn't seem hungry just trying to poop. Then that has escalated to him waking up every hour or more trying to poop - taking a pacifer and going right back to sleep.
Help!! this is the third night in a row - Is he hungry and we are just not getting it? Is it just the teething? Should we try changing my diet? What do you think?

Offline M and N's Mom

• Sari - Mom to 2 Spirited Kids!
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • They're growing up so fast!
Re: please help us get back on track
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 19:06:21 pm »
An exclusively BF baby should not have that much difficulty trying to poop.  The way you are describing it, it sounds like constipation.  You might want to examine your diet in case he has a sensitivity to something you are eating (dairy?  wheat?)  Do you think it might be gas, or reflux?  I'm assuming based on your lo's age you haven't introduced any cereal/solids yet that would be interfering.

I am not a routine expert, but if you post your routine, someone might be able to offer some suggestions as that could be contributing to night wakings as well.

Offline TJ & Stephy's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
Re: please help us get back on track
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 04:32:00 am »
I agree with the pp, BF babies should not have a problem pooping.  May you can try adding more fiber into your diet and maybe that may help your LO poop during the day instead at night?? 

Offline 2uncmoms

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 15:19:21 pm »
hmmm - well, I think I get plenty of fiber. I don't eat dairy but maybe he's having a hard time with the wheat. He is certainly not constipated - the poop comes out but he's just trying hard. I really don't change my diet much at all. So, maybe it just that our schedule is flawed - -thanks for the thoughts...

Offline 2uncmoms

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 15:33:54 pm »
oh yeah - no, no cereal or solids yet

yes, he does have reflux but it is managed pretty well with Zantac syrup

Last night he ate at 6:30, we did his bedtime at 7:30 - did a dreamfeed at 9:30 - he woke up pooping at 1:30 a.m. and two other times but each of those times went back to sleep with a shhhpat