Author Topic: milk allergy - skim vs. whole  (Read 2083 times)

Offline BlessedKylie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
milk allergy - skim vs. whole
« on: November 07, 2006, 13:37:49 pm »
My dd seems to be affected more by whole milk than by skim milk. Does that make sense? It's all through breast milk, so I am having a hard time finding the allergen (if there is one - she periodically breaks out in a rash all over her body, so we are doing trial and error to find out if it's an allergy or just sensitive skin).

Skim milk will give her diarrhea and gas, but doesn't seem to cause the rash, whereas whole milk and soy milk give her gas, diarrhea and the rash.

Offline yaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
Re: milk allergy - skim vs. whole
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 13:54:17 pm »
im no expert but sounds to me like general lactose intollerance. DS was the same, we thought he was over it but turns out he's not :(

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 18:21:15 pm »
That doesn't sound like lactose intolerance to me but an intolerance to the milk proteins - and yes, whole milk is harder to digest than skim milk... But given his overall sensitivity to milk, have you considered a dairy free diet?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline BlessedKylie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 19:56:12 pm »
I am pretty much dairy free. I do have one piece of 2% cheese on a sandwich for lunch and it doesn't seem to bother her.

I tried to switch to soy milk to help me get more protein, but that gave her gas, diarrhea and a rash as well.

Yogurt (the 99% fat free version) also gives her diarrhea and gas, but no rash.