Author Topic: gradual or cold turkey?  (Read 823 times)

Offline lmill068

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 13, 2006, 00:35:46 am »
I have been trying to implement 4 hour EASY on my 6 month old son for the past 2 weeks.  In a typical day he needs 4 naps as he can only sleep for 30-45 min.  I have tried wake 2 sleep several times (he wakes up fully no matter what I do).  I have also recently tried putting pressure on him to get him through the "jolts" when he is moving to the next sleep cycle.  This did work once, but never again.

My question is - should I just try it cold turkey and follow the 4 hour EASY.  With his cat naps, then he will be up for close to 3 hours between naps.  Or should I do it gradual and move to 3 naps for now?  He does get overtired but does have too hard of a time falling asleep when he is overtired.  He will not go back to sleep if I leave him.  One day I left him for over an hour in his crib once he woke up and did not fall back asleep. 

I am not sure what is the best approach.  Thanks in advance!

Offline debo620

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 70
Re: gradual or cold turkey?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 01:25:28 am »
hi my son did the 45min catnap thing from a very early age. I actually found that moveing to the 4hr easy helped b/c it gave me more time to get him back to sleep with pupd. I did this cold turkey as I though the transition thing was just to confusing.

so our day looked something like this:
wake bf 6
nap 8 for 45min-8:45, spent 40min doing pupd, slept for another 45min---10:15am
bf 10:15
nap 12:15 for 45min-1pm, spent 40min doing pupd, slept until 2:15
bf 2:15
catnap 4
bath, bf at 6:30 bed

eventually his naps got much better---and then he had longer A times 2 1/2hrs

Deborah,
Noah---January 30th, 2006
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline lmill068

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 01:59:00 am »
How long did you do pu/pd for, or are you still continuing to do it?  My son can fall asleep on his own so I don't see how pu/pd will work.  Should I be doing it after he wakes from his 45 minute cat nap?