Author Topic: how much activity time for 1 year old and any ideas?  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Lovejoy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
how much activity time for 1 year old and any ideas?
« on: November 14, 2006, 16:22:53 pm »
i sometimes think that my dd should have more wake up time, but want to check with your thoughts,  also running out of things to do with her which are interesting and interactive for both of us.
Daily Easy:
6.45 wake up and breastfeed
play in our bed, sing songs and watch a bit of wildlife kids programmes
8am breakfast
play with toys or try to read book or sing songs
9.30/10am nap -
11am wake up, she plays with toys
12ish lunch
go out for walk/shopping
14.00ish nap
14.45/1500 wake up play with toys

1700 dinner
wind down play ie look at books
18.30 bedtime routine,  massage/bottle feed and bed by 7/7.15

I have to admit i think it's boring same activity all day and I want to try harder for interactive play rather than leave her playing with her activity toys/building blocks.
this is going to sound really daft, but i have to remind myself to have conversations with her, rather than just smile/clap/kiss and feed her.

Offline emlay

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: how much activity time for 1 year old and any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 16:38:19 pm »
Hey!!  At 12 months we had transitioned to 1 nap so her A time was about 5 to 5.5 hours.  But I knew she was ready for that much awake time.  Before she was awake for about 4 hours.  DD was getting up at 6:00 and going for her #1 nap at 10:00 and then a short nap around 3:30 or 4:00.  I do have to say that after we were down to only 1 nap she know gets up around 7:00.  Her nap is at 12:00 and she will sleep a good 3 hours.  Hope that helps a little.

binxyboo

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 16:40:05 pm »
Sounds like a nice schedule! Riley is 15 months now, I too get bored of seeing him play the same things day after day, but if he was bored of it, he would certainly let me know! Since he started walking a few months ago, I feel we have more scope. Even a walk outside he gets so much out of. Now that it's fall, he can spend forever playing with leaves etc. He is also big on water play. Off to work now, will think about it some more.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 18:13:14 pm »
Your routine looks great, right around where my DD was at about a year I think.  Eventually, you'll transition to one nap and that will mess everything up for awhile, but I would be really happy with that for now.  As for activities, there's a sticky up at the top of this forum that might help you out -- check out the "Toddler Activity" sticky which has a bunch of ideas from other members - there's also one for LOs ages 9-12 months that would have some ideas for you too.

Offline Isaac's_mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 00:31:20 am »
Isaac's schedule is pretty much similar to yours. We are getting closer to one nap, so he now takes a 30-45 minute nap at 9am and a 2hr nap at 1pm. and sleeps 11.5 hours at night. He averages around 14hrs of sleep in 24hrs, sometimes 15. It seems like a lot for a 14 month old, but he seems happy with it. As far as activities go, I get bored with it but he seems fine. We get up, have breakfast, then get dressed. He goes into the playpen for  45 minutes while I work out then goes for his nap while I get dressed. Then we go out for the day and run errands, playgroups, or meet up with a friend. We either have lunch out or we get back around 1230 and have it at home. He is normally asleep by 1pm. I wake him by 330 if he hasn't woken himself up yet, and he ussually plays at home then. We normally don't leave the house unless we have to or its the weekend and we are doing something. So he plays with his toys from 330-530. Then we clean up and get ready for dinner, we eat at 6pm, bath at 645, then in bed between 715-730. I would think he would get bored of this routine, since we do it M-F (weekends are a bit different since DH is around, but naps stay the same), but he does great! We rarely have sleep problems or tantrums. Once in a while he will throw one, like today cause I wouldn't give him more then two cookies, but hey who doesn't want a double chocolate cookie!
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80