Author Topic: 2 Year Old Impossible To Get To Bed...  (Read 922 times)

Offline MzBunkin

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 15, 2006, 01:37:07 am »
My DD turned 2 in Sept. and we got rid of her binkie about a month ago now (it was a process but her choice w/the final binkie). She really did well with it....minimal crying. But my child who was on EASY as a baby and has always been very easy to put to bed - a good night and that's it, we'd get to leave, has turned into a nightmare. She doesn't cry or fuss. But it's taking FOREVER to get her down now. For the first few weeks it was us rocking her - like a new security I guess, understandable since she lost her biggest security.  Since Saturday she's allowed us just to rub her back in her crib (she's in daycare and before nap they'll rub a child's back if they have trouble falling asleep). But we start at 7:10 or so with stories - 10-15 mins, after she's had a bath and a chance to hang out w/us on the couch for a few minutes and teeth are brushed. Lights out after stories.  Lately its 8-8:30 before she's asleep and we're out of her room!  We tried starting at 7:30 instead and it just went 8:30-9.  And it's switching "No Mommy rub back" "No, Daddy rub back."
Is this an age thing? Does she just need more time? I'm at my wits end. My husband and I both work full time and I adore my DD but I also have a 5 month old son, and I'm tired :) By 8 I'd like a little time before I'm asleep myself.  If it's the age, ok - I just want to know if I should be doing more.
Thanks for any insight...
Meg

Offline owelley

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 57
  • You took the fall and thought of me above all.
    • www.chordpower.com
Re: 2 Year Old Impossible To Get To Bed...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 02:01:26 am »
Hello Mzbunkin,

I found some links that may be of use to you.

wi/wo

support for wi/wo

TODDLER WIND DOWN ROUTINES

Hope this helps  ;)

Blessed beyond measure.

Offline Catharine

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 17:26:34 pm »
I think you have replaced one prop (binkie) with another (mommy and daddy). We used to be the parents that laid beside our dd for 45mins until she fell asleep then had to creep out of her room.

It seems like so long ago but it was only 3mths ago (dd was 2yrs 2mths old) that we bit the bullet and moved her into a big girl's bed and changed our bedtime routine:clean teeth, bedtime stories, let her choose a favorite toy to sleep with, cuddle, kiss & hugs, turn off lights & leave the room straight away.

A few things I've done that seems to work for us:

1. Before I start the last story, I tell her what is going to happen after the story is finished: cuddle & kiss, sleep on her own while I will go downstairs and that she's a big girl now so there is no need to cry because I’m right downstairs.

2. While we are cuddling, I would again tell her that she is a big girl now & big girls sleep by themselves, how proud I am of her, and that her favorite toy will look after her while she sleeps.

3. The next morning, when I wake her, I would say how proud I am of her for sleeping on her own and also, in front of her, make a big deal of telling people we knew.

4. While I'm reading or if I see anything relevant during the day, I would point out pictures of kids with their own beds & reinforce how she is a big girl just like them with their own beds.

It sound tedious but its better than having to regress to those horrible nights again.

Did it go smoothly from day 1? No, it was rough for a week and I started to think that its too traumatic for her.

She would cling on to me for dear life (knowing what's going to happen next) and cried while I separate myself from her, turn off the light & leave the room. However the crying only continued for less than a minute and she's all quiet. The longer I stayed, the more dramatic it got.

She was waking up very early around 5.45am but that fixed itself after a week.

Did it get better? Yes!!!

After a week. She didn't cling on to me too much, and there was minimal or no crying when I left the room. She was also sleeping better: not a sound until 6-6.30am.

Then she started telling me that I should be very proud of her for sleeping on her own. At night she tells me that I'm going to be downstairs while she sleeps. :-)

Why did it work? I think it was because I was extremely consistent & strongly believed that any slight regression to old habits or new bad habits would come back to haunt me when the baby arrives, and I would not be able to physically or mentally deal with it.

Cheers,

Catharine

Offline joaquinsmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 25
    • La Familia Flores Lemus
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 18:40:55 pm »
I definitely agree with Catharine.
My son is 2 1/2 and up until 5 days ago I had to stay in his room sometimes for about 2 hours to get him to fall asleep. I had to lie down with him and let him pull my hair. And he would wake up several times during the night and I had to go in there and lie down with him again and let him pull my hair. It was awful!!

So first thing I did was push his bedtime a little later since he is still taking a long nap in the afternoon. Then I give him and dd a bath together, get them both dressed and give them a bottle if they want it. Then I take dd to her room and tell ds that he can "read" quietly while I go put dd to bed. Then I come back to ds' room and read a story with him, then turn off the lights, and we say our prayers. After that I tell him I need to go to the kitchen to wash the dishes so I need him to stay in there with his stuffed penguin and rest. He doesn't completely like it at first and asks me to stay and lie down with him but I tell him I will be back later and leave. He has been getting up a couple of times to ask to go to the bathroom or just to see me, but I just put him back in his bed, kiss him goodnight, tell him where I'll be and leave. I make sure all lights outside his bedroom are turned off, and that the house is as quiet as it can be. He's been falling asleep on his own for a week now. It's amazing. We are both so much happier. He doesn't even wake up during the night anymore.

So I would definitely try this. I tried to do it gradually, like trying to sit on the bed instead of lying down with him, and then maybe later sitting on a chair by the bed... but it just didn't work for him. It's weird but the cold turkey strategy worked so much better.

Good luck!!!!
Jennifer

Mom to Mario Joaquí­n
Born on 6/5/04

And Daniella

Offline MzBunkin

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 00:33:34 am »
Thank you all very much - at least I don't feel alone anymore.
I have been pondering converting her crib to a toddler bed. With the chaos of the holidays coming I'm not sure it's the best idea but what we're doing now isn't working either.  I've said to many people that all may change when we do that....so maybe it's time to bite the bullet.
Thank you so much for the suggestions and stories. I appreciate it!

Offline Catharine

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 04:09:39 am »
Us parents must stick together and they are only kids so they shouldn't be calling the shots.  ;)

Keep us posted.
Cheers,

Catharine