Author Topic: 17 month old waking at night and waking early  (Read 827 times)

Offline briansprincess

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
17 month old waking at night and waking early
« on: November 15, 2006, 16:43:57 pm »
My 17 month has always been a good sleeper with just some small problems that we ironed out. He is on a good routine and dose well on it.  Well a week and a half ago he started waking at night crying not for long always at different time of night and not for long the most of the time he will settle on his own. If i have to go in I just put the blankets back on him and kiss him again and hes fine.  But since hes waking at night hes getting up early like 6:30 or 7 and he use to sleep until 8.  Iam just wondering if he is getting to much sleep so I have tried playing with his routine but that didn't work. Maybe its teeth but he has a month full of them and I don't know where a new one would go lol.  I am just looking for some suggestions. Here is his routine it been this way since he turned one.

8:00-wake up and have breakfast.
11:30-lunch
12:00-nap 2hrs
2:00-wake from name and have a snack
5:30-dinner
7:00-bath, brush teeth, story
7:30-7:45-in bed

Thank you Crystal

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: 17 month old waking at night and waking early
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 18:13:17 pm »
Hi Crystal and welcome to the forum!

I'm thinking your ds is needing extra awake time given his age. Usually they can hold on for 5 hours or so before going down for nap or bedtime. The amount of time he gets between nap and bedtime is almost 6 hours so he might be a little overtired by then, hence the night wakings. The amount of time he gets between waking and nap is too short. I'd suggest you to try 5 hour stretches for each, nap and bedtime and try that consistantly for over a week and see if that helps him sleep through. Tweaking something and only trying for a couple of days will only confuse you and him and you won't be able to see a difference.

As for the night wakings, it looks to me you're handling them pretty well. Only go inside his room if he's crying out for you. As for the teething, 16 teeth (teeth and molars) are to be expected within the first year of life. Cound how many your lo already has to rule out teething pain. HTH and keep us posted!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 18:37:19 pm »
Hmmm, a few thoughts.  I don't think he's getting too much overall sleep although you could maybe expect to see something less than 12 hours at night--I think most lo's around 18 months get about 11 (except mine who wouldn't do more than 10!) so that may be part of it.  He still needs to get second year molars and while it may be a bit early for them that may be it.  My older dd got all her teeth early and had a full set by 19 months so he might be teething.  Alternatively, ear infections may not show any symptoms except when a child is lying down (due to changes in the ear pressure) so you may want to get that checked out.
He's been on one nap for about 5 months now and I note that he used to go down for it about 4 hours after wakeup and he's up for about 6 hours after nap.  I think many lo's when they first go to one nap need to go down pretty early because they just can't make it that long before having a nap but once they adjust to one nap they do better having the nap about 5.5-6 hours after wakeup--if he's waking at 6:30 or 7 he's not quite getting that, so he may just need a nap slightly later.   There's a couple of things you could try--since he's not getting as much sleep at night, you probably won't want to move the nap later at first so move his bedtime slightly earlier--about 30 minutes.  With my dd night waking and early rising was usually a sign of overtiredness/putting her down too late at night.  So if you do that you may find the night wakings go but he may still wake around 6:30-7 and want to nap at 12.  If the earlier bedtime works fine for your schedule, then you may want to go with it but if not, just move the bedtime earlier temporarily, then you can slowly shift both the bedtime and nap time forward 30 minutes or so maintaining that morning wake time closer to 5.5 hours before nap with bedtime 5 to 5.5 hours after nap. HTH

Offline briansprincess

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 01:38:04 am »
Thank you so much for the suggestions. I will give them a try and keep you posted.

Crystal