Author Topic: staying away for the night  (Read 1133 times)

Offline deemum

• www.anfeirmbeag.com
  • BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
staying away for the night
« on: November 17, 2006, 15:14:40 pm »
just wondering how to handle dd's schedule when i have to stay away for the night in about two weeks. am tempted to give my mum her easy written out - bath at 6.30 have her in bed for 7, lights off etc etc but our parenting styles are so different i know the reaction i would get! not sure what to do this trip is making me soo nervous, what if we come back and we're back to night wakings if she has a bad night or doesn't get her df? ???
Dee

shimzy

Re: staying away for the night
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 15:30:20 pm »
My ds was 5 mths old when we left him for a week. I left his EASY schedule with grandma.

She said he didnt even faulter from his schedule. Of course it helped that he was an angel baby.. but thats what we did.

My MIL (who watched my son that week) had 7 children and was a winger through and through! As much as she disagreed with our plan, she followed it.

Offline *Mona*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 144
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 15:36:15 pm »
I think what you need to do is explain your mom the whole concept behind EASY and how you parent and stress out that you want her to follow your instructions.
I did so to my mom [she's taking care of my dd when I'm at work] and even thou she was a bit reluctant to some things, she is following our routine perfectly.
ask your mom to do as you want her to do. don't be shy, it's your baby.

BUT even if this one night she rocks her to sleep or doesn't give her DF etc, don't worry, it's only one night. shouldn't do any harm.

:) HTH
~Monika~

Maja - 6 yrs
Nina - 27.11.2012 :)

Offline Mariek

• Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 15:38:51 pm »
I'm leaving the kids with DH while I go away overnight tomorrow night. I've written DSs EASY schedule in a timetable in an Excel spreadsheet and printed it out. I did the same thing when DD was 4 months old and I went away for the weekend and left her with DH. I've also done it if she's been overnight with my parents or the ILs (especially when she was very little).

It's definitley worth writing down your routine... then when they try it their way and it all goes to pot at least they'll have something to fall back on ;)

love

Marie

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 15:40:02 pm »
totally agree with pps- she is your baby and you are right to want things done the way she is used to. I always write down our routine when lo goes to MILs- that way she has no excuses!  ;)
]

Offline deemum

• www.anfeirmbeag.com
  • BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 19:56:54 pm »
thanks everyone, i was feeling a bit silly, i seem to be regarded as a bit of a nazi round here but as a result of easy my textbook/spirited lo is such an 'angel'! with 3 good naps a day and sleeps 7-7 (df at 10.30) - you can see why i don't want to risk an upset! thanks for the advice, i'll let ye know how we go,
Dee

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 08:51:36 am »
Quote (selected)
i seem to be regarded as a bit of a nazi round here

Dee I was a total Nap Nazi for the first 6 months and still am most days- it used to drive my family mad when we had to make plans around naps but at 10 months lo is so happy, has slept all night long from 9 weeks old, has 2 regular good naps at the same time each day and everyone says she is the smiliest baby they know so we must be dong something right! You carry on doing great just as you are!  :D :D :D
]

Offline Mariek

• Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 09:30:43 am »
I was a nap nazi with my DD (who is now 2.5 and a GREAT sleeper!) and I'm being a nap nazi with my second. It pays off in the end (even if you have to put up with people who disagree with you in the meantime!).

love
Marie

Offline deemum

• www.anfeirmbeag.com
  • BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 19:59:43 pm »
Thanks girls, it gives me strength to just listen to them and let it pass off when I hear the success stories here! also, my ds is 8 years old and we had a tough time with him as a baby, we had no routine and he never slept, to this day we struggle with this and i can already see the difference in his sister, less crying and a much happier baby.
Dee

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 20:07:54 pm »
Let us know how it goes.

Paula x
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007