Author Topic: False Starts  (Read 5687 times)

Offline Henley

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 17, 2006, 15:29:18 pm »
Hi Everyone,

My 5.5 month DS goes down easily at bedtime, but he goes through a number of what we like to call "false starts".  For the past 2 months, about every 40 - 60 minutes he will wake up and need help resettling until I give him a DF between 10:30 and 11:00. In the past it hasn't been a real problem, we would simply go in (after waiting to see if he would self soothe) and SHH, rub his head, tell him it's sleepy time, maybe give him back his soother and he would quickly go back to dreamland (at least for another 40 minutes).  Lately, however, he goes to bed easily, but then after 40 minutes he wakes up crying and none of our attempts to soothe him seem to help - in fact his crying escalates to screams and it takes us anywhere from 10 to 60 minutes of trying to get him back to sleep.  This has been going on for about 1.5 weeks.  I have tried feeding him and he will often refuse the breast, but will take a bottle of expressed milk or formula (about 3oz).  This usually calms him down, but by this point he is wide awake and ready to play (but exhausted and overtired). He has also started to wake up more at night too.  He used to wake once anywhere from 3 to 5am for a quick but full feed, then back to bed until 7:30am.  He now wakes up around 2 am, then again around 5 or 6am.  He seems hungry, and eats really well from at least one side (he usually takes both). He has also had nights lately where I can't even count how many times he woke up(6+?) and needed help settling.  I find this especially frustrating because the week before this all started he slept right through from the DF until 7:30am a few times.  Two steps forward, one step back I guess!

Some other information that might be relevant:  We started solids about 2 weeks ago and he has managed the change really well.  He is pretty big - almost 19lbs, and also quite active.  He's rolling now (back to front) and tries SO hard to sit up from a lying down position.  We have also been fighting the 40 minute nap since about 2 months old, but lately have been making progress in this area.  He will now have at least one 1.5 - 2.5 hr nap with little or no help getting over the 40 minute mark. His other two naps are usually 40 minutes and he wakes up happy.

Our basic routine is (but we haven't had too many of these days lately b/c of all the night wakings we've been off)
7:30-Wake up and BF
8:00-Activity
8:30-Solids
9:30-Nap (usually 40 minutes.  if he wakes up crying, I try and help him extend it, if he's happy I let it go)
11:30 - BF
12:30 - Nap *this time changes depending on his a.m. nap.  He will be up for 2 - 2.25 hrs before the p.m. nap starts. 
3:30 - BF
4:30 - Cat Nap
5:15 - Solids
6:00 - Bath and massage with dad
6:30 - BF, then finish off bedtime routine of book, sing and cuddle
7:00 - Bed
And then the wake ups start from 7:40ish onwards.

Sorry this is so long, but I figure too much information is better than not enough.
Can anyone help me sort out this mess??

Thanks,
Tracy

Offline albertasweetpea

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
  • Our Dolly Molly - October 2007
Re: False Starts
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 15:45:08 pm »
Hi Tracy...oh my gosh that sounds sooooooooooo familiar!!  :o
Molly is past that now but I remember it oh so well. Have you tried putting him down to bed earlier, say 6:30 pm or so? I know it seems so early, but with those darn 40 minute naps, he is bound to be overtired from not enough sleep.
Once he has caught up on his sleep, you can try to push his bedtime ahead if that is what works better for you.
Just a suggestion as it worked for us!
Good luck.  :)
~Michelle (Spruce Grove, AB, Canada)

[img=http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/rooby-rooby-roo/BW2ndAnnivAva.png=http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/rooby-rooby-roo/BW2ndAnnivAva.png]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/rooby-rooby-roo/BW2ndAnnivAva.png[/img]
[url=http://www.baby-gaga.com/][img=http://tickers.baby-gag

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 18:01:17 pm »
My advice to you is to not feed solids so late in the day at 5:15. If you want to do a second solid meal then do it as lunch. Solids at first can (usually) cause gas and tummy upset/cramping.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Henley

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 23:55:35 pm »
Sorry it has taken me so long to reply to your suggestions.  We were away for the weekend (terrible timing, but necessary).  His night wakings were worse than ever - 7+ times a night.  I'm REALLY hoping that it was because we were travelling.   ::)

Suggestion #1 - I will certainly try moving his bedtime up and see if that makes a difference.  Do you think 6:30 is too early if he just had a catnap around 4:30 (wake up around 5:10)?  Either way - thank you for telling me about your experience - it's nice to know that someone else has been there.

Suggestion #2 - I thought about this too on the weekend and today I gave him his second "meal" at 2:00pm. He had a big poop on the drive home afterwards, so maybe everything will be all worked out of him tonight.

Thank you both for your ideas - cross your fingers for me!
Tracy

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 00:03:29 am »
Let us know how it goes!
Jessica

Offline Henley

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 14:39:32 pm »
Well, it's been 2 nights since we started putting him down earlier for bed and offering him a lunch instead of diner with solids.

The first night he still woke up about every hour until the DF, but he was MUCH easier to settle and went back to sleep without a fight.  After the 10:00 DF (which he woke up for), he woke again at 3:30 for another feed.

Yesterday he napped REALLY well (for him) - 1.25 hrs in the morning and 1.5 hrs in the pm and a 40 minute catnap.  I was worried because he woke up from the catnap at 5:45, and I thought he wouldn't want to go back to sleep until late - but by the time 7:15 came around he was out like a light.  He only woke up once, easy to get back to sleep, then DF at 10:30 (again, he woke up for it), and awake again at 3:00 for another feed.  I don't really know how hungry he was, he didn't seem to take much, but he slept until 7:30 and then babbled in his crib until 8:00.  Is it normal for him to still be waking for a night time feed? All my friends seem to have babies that, after the DF, sleep straight until 7am.  I wonder if I'm in a bit of a habit of feeding him when he wakes in the middle of the night.  If he's hungry, obviously I want to feed him and I really don't mind it that much - we're both back to sleep within 15-20 minutes (he's a fast nurser). I just don't want to start a habit that will be hard to break later on.  Any opinions?

Overall I would say a definite improvement so far!  THANK YOU LADIES!!!

Tracy

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 16:23:43 pm »
That's great news Tracy!! Congratulations!

As far as the night feed goes, it's definitely normal for him to still have one at his age. Many do for a while yet. You'll know when he's ready to drop it  ;)
Jessica