Author Topic: Using cows milk in cooking before 12 months?  (Read 2246 times)

Offline annary

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thomas Lars - slippery when wet.
Using cows milk in cooking before 12 months?
« on: November 20, 2006, 09:13:52 am »
Hi, I am really enjoying checking out and trying others mum's recepies for their los! Just a wee question though? Is it alright to use full fat cows milk in cooking before the 12 month mark? I am really keen to start using it, but my little one is 11 months old now...which way around should I introduce the milk-in cooking or drinking?. Also another question regarding milk- I am in the process of teaching Thomas to drink milk (and not just water) from his sippy cup. Will this be easier for him if we give him formulae in the sippy cup as it is a taste he is used to, or just go for it with the cows milk!?
Many thanks, Anna

Offline tullyma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Using cows milk in cooking before 12 months?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 09:38:22 am »
It's fine to use cow's milk in cooking before 12 months. Lots of mums use it (in cooking only) from 6 months. Other mums (me included) offer cow's milk as a drink before 12 months but many LOs aren't keen on the taste after drinking formula.

You can make the switch easier by diluting the formula with a little milk. Over a period of a few weeks, increase the proportion of milk and reduce that of formula until your LO is drinking straight cow's milk.

Offline linfran

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 20:45:25 pm »
At ds's 7mo check the hv said I could give him cereal with full fat milk and also use it in sauces - just not as his main drink but to watch for any reaction.

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 20:52:22 pm »
My HV told me that it's ok to use cows milk, it's just not advisable to use it as a main drink until 12 months.  Nathan used to love weetabix with soft fruit ie banana or strawberries.   urgh it was horrible but he loved it!

Offline annary

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 19:25:43 pm »
Thank you. Some great tips! I shall enjoy watching his face for a funny reaction! Another question-do you think it is the same with egg. ie can you use the whites in cookng beofre 12 months also? thanks.

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 19:32:05 pm »
Hmm, can't remember about eggs, I thought it was the yolk and they had to be cooked thoroughly.

Offline annary

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 10:00:39 am »
Thanks for getting back so quickly....I had to go to bed as I felt like my eyes were hanging out of their sockets. The egg question remains a mystery. I thought the yolk was fine to give, but no whites as it is a common allergen. Heyho there are plenty of other things to try. Actually as Im writing this I note that pasta is made of eggs and Thomas loves them and had no adverse reaction, so I guess that answers my question....but Ill hold off scrambles for a while just in case. Ciao!

Offline tullyma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 21:41:14 pm »
I gave my DD scrambled eggs every morning from 7 mths - She loved them! Not too keen these days though  ::)

It was just the whites until about 10 mths. Then I did the whole egg and there was no reaction at all. Depends on the child I'm guessing.

Offline annary

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 18:52:36 pm »
Great. Thanks. Regarding the  self-weaning off formulae- Im not sure, but I think that is what we are going through at the moment. Thomas who usually loved his milk, is now only drinking max 120-150 at each bottle (at the moment 3). It cant be a preference to whole milk as he has only just started with it and takes only the tiniest sip....but it feels strange to not have him drink at whole bottle of formulae say 210 at night like he previously did. I tried giving him a smaller meal at 4.30-5 pm,and he at least drank some of his milk at 7 pm. (120 ml). I have also switched to the number 4 teat. What does that mean do you think?....confused! 

Offline annary

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 18:19:40 pm »
Yep! Thanks. Today was much better. He drank a normal bottle in the morning and only a little bottle at lunch, earlier dinner, and hey presto 210 ml devoured at bedtime. Brilliant. Thanks!!Anna