Author Topic: Baby pulling up - how to teach him to sit back down  (Read 5864 times)

Offline Ula

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Baby pulling up - how to teach him to sit back down
« on: November 20, 2006, 16:10:26 pm »
Any ideas? My 8m old DS is pulling up all the time, on everything, but especially in the crib, and he doesn't know how to sit back down yet. We've had a few tumbles. So does anyone have any suggestions for activities to help teach him how to sit back down?

Thanks!

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: Baby pulling up - how to teach him to sit back down
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 18:37:49 pm »
When he is in the crib you put his hands on the rails and show him how to slide them down until he is sitting.  Otherwise I guess you would need to show him how to bend his knees to get back down ;D

Offline newmommy21

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 20:34:20 pm »
I too was concerned when my 8 month old first started pulling up, he had a couple rough falls. I read on babycenter that they have to be taught how to bend their knees when they fall. I kept doing that, while he was standing I would watch until I knew he wanted to get down and I would gently show him how to bend his knees to get down. After about a few days to a week he learned how to get down by himself. Now its soo cute, he stares at the floor and slowly bends down with one hand holding himself up and one hand getting ready to touch the ground, its adorable. Good luck!
Nadiya

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 00:18:59 am »
We recently went through this.  I taught him how to bend his knees and drop to his butt here first (took a day) then we did it in the crib (took 20mins).  I sat next to him dropped his favorite puppy on the floor and gently pushed his shoulder while pushing in on his knee with my other hand saying "Sit on your bum".  We retrieve puppy and do it again, and again, and again....  Now he just holds with one hand, squats til he is hovering above the floor and sits - quite funny to watch! ;D 

Worked a treat!  Good Luck.

Zoe

...its what you do when you get back up.

Offline Ula

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 02:27:23 am »
Thanks - I'll start the 'training' tomorrow. I'll let you know how he does :)