Author Topic: Night wakings - just started  (Read 985 times)

Offline BabyBuns

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.thechius.com
Night wakings - just started
« on: November 22, 2006, 19:31:28 pm »
Hi, hope someone can give me some insight or advice on this:

For the past 3 nights, DD who usually sleeps through the night, started to wake at around 11 PM screaming.  First night I ran to her and ended up nursing her and then having to stay till 1 AM doing the Pat/Shh.  When I try to leave when I think she fell asleep, she would scream.  Even when I am patting her,she is restless, fuzzing and squirming around.  So 2nd night, I let her cry for a little while and after not settliing down within 10 mins I went to pat her again. I patted her and ended up nursing her (she has had a night feeding for awhile) which was a bad idea, cause she ended up being wide AWAKE after I nurse her (was hoping to nurse her back to sleep).  She stayed up till 1 AM again, playing and talking but I had to be right next to her.  If not she screams.

Last night I went to her again and she patted her for a hour, when I thought she was asleep I sneaked out, but then within 1 min, she was up again.  Went back in and patted her some more.  The whole time she is restless, twisting and turning and pulling her hair!  But would be fine if I picked her up.  And she will be up at 5:15 AM instead of her usual 6 AM.

Is this from separation anxiety?  I never had this problem with my older daughter, please help.

Thanks!

Answer to questions:

How old is your child? 9 months old
What’s his/her daily routine? wake at 6, breakfast at 7:30, nap at 9, bottle or BF at 10, lunch at 12, nap at 12:30, bottle/bf at 2, dinner at 4:30, nap (maybe) at 5:30, nurse and bed at 7 PM
What’s nap routine? about 3 naps per day,
How long are naps? 30 mins to 1 hr (varies)
What's bedtime routine? Time? bath or wipe down, brush teeth, say goodnight to Daddy and sister, nurse, story, lights, lullabye, bed
Do you bottle or breastfed?? breastfed (bottle when I am at work)
How much? or how long?  3oz bottles (never was a good bottle drinker) and about 5 mins when nursing (even when she was a newborn)
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed) both
How many wakes per night? 1
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up?  2 hrs
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry?  crying/screaming
What have you tried to settle??  pat/shh
What do you do for A time and how long is it? pat/shh for 1 -2 hrs
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones?  teething maybe, but nothing coming out at all
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)
Do they have a prop? If so what is it?  no
Do they have a lovie? no, don't want one.  We tried
Ashley's Mommy

Offline yaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
Re: Night wakings - just started
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 20:06:14 pm »
hello!
Could it be teething? If shes waking up screaming she could be in pain. S.A is not uncommon at this age, my DS went thru it too. I would def not try to nurse back to sleep otherwise u'll create a prop. HAve u tried shhpatting and then sitting on a chair in her room so she can see and feels safe but goes to sleep on her own? If u do this, try not to give her any attention, just be there.
Whats her routine like?
Long awake times durign night could be routine realted too

Offline Lªuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 20:13:11 pm »
I have experienced this before, and I put it down to 2 things;

S/anx mixed with overtiredness. 

Do you think from seeing her that she is hungry or just feeding for comfort? Has she displayed any signs she is teething or her teething are moving?

I see from your routine she has a nap at 0930 then another at 1230, how long for? Does she have a catnap everynight? If not there is a long A time before bed = overtired.

Sorry more questions.  :-[

Lauren x

Offline BabyBuns

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.thechius.com
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 01:59:48 am »
First, thanks for replying and I don't mind the questions at all.

Well, this is the night routine:
6:20/6:45 (depends what time i get home from work) I would nurse her
7:00 wipe down or bath (she gets bath every other night)
7:20 brush teeth
7:25 say goodnight to Daddy and sister
7:30 nurse and then story, then song and then in crib

I thought it was teething too, but when I took her for her 9 month checkup, ped said she doesn't see teeth even though she is drooling like crazy.

As for her naps, she is a catnapper...average is for 30 mins, once in awhile we get 1-1.5 hr out of her.  We do try to do a nap after dinner, around 5 (she took one for 20 mins).  I think she is overtire since she doesn't want to nap during the day, but we are trying our best about her naps (she was always like this).

As for the nursing, I don't think she is hungry, she eats 3 meals a day.

Thanks,JC
Ashley's Mommy

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 14:09:40 pm »
it does seem to be maybe be overtiredness if u say her naps are so short, ahve u tried extending them?

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 22:55:42 pm »
Have you tried PU/PD? She's on the old side for pat/shhh, I wonder if you'd have more success with a different method.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o