Author Topic: when did you go to one nap?  (Read 9678 times)

Offline legend_018

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
  • I love bath time!
« on: November 26, 2006, 22:17:03 pm »
How old was your LO when you went down to one nap. She is turning 8 months in 2 days and sometimes she ends up taking a later nap in the morning and skipping her last nap. Although I'm not so sure she's actually ready for that full time though. I want to say that she naps every 2-4 hours usually.
but today for example she napped for 2 1/2 hours from 10:30 - 1pm and has been up since. I'm gathering she'll go to bed at 8pm tonight. we'll see "lol". I think it's a bit much at times, but other times I think it's ok in the end.
I was wondering if anyone else has only 1 nap in for 8 month olds.
Chayse was born March 28, 2006
Chaunda was born August 13, 2007

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: when did you go to one nap?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 23:33:53 pm »
Hey I am going to move this over to naps for you but I will say that 8 months is pretty early for one nap

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 00:06:55 am »
the earliest recommendation i have heard is 9 mo. my dd2 went to 1 nap between 10-11mo but dd1 stayed on 2 naps until 16-18mo . the key deciding factor is looking at total sleep and seeing if lo is happy on that 1 nap - if they are overtired from lack of sleep and end up with night wakings etc it is a clear sign that they need at least 1 more nap. if the afternoons are a struggle (or in the example you gave with her nap ending at 1pm) i would try at least for a 45 min nap around 4 pm before you do dinner. otherwise move bedtime forward - in that case i woudl say no later than  7 (even earlier if she is miserable) HTH
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline M and N's Mom

• Sari - Mom to 2 Spirited Kids!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • They're growing up so fast!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 00:44:33 am »
I don't have any recommendations, because I am having problems with my 9mo napping.  He only naps 30-45 minutes in the morning and still fights his afternoon.  He's not ready for one yet, but I'll be watching this thread with interest!

Offline Izzy-B's mommy

• Showing Appreciation 31
    • http://www.thinline.ca
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 00:52:40 am »
When Isabella was 8 mths old she was still having her 2 naps.  I'm pretty sure her naps were a little earlier than your's are.   Our wake up time in the morning was always 7am.   
Anyways, to answer your question,   When she as 11mths, she started not wanting to sleep on her last nap, and by the time she turned 1, she went to one nap quite easily.  It didn't take long to get her to go for her nap from 12-3pm. 

Good luck

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 01:59:35 am »
In our case, Isabella went to 1 nap at 15-16 months. At 8 months, she was on 3 naps  :o. She didn't drop her catnap until 9 months or so and started showing signs of transitioning to 1 nap at 12-13 months. But I do agree that bring the bedtime forward if the 2nd nap has not been taken. It will help with overtiredness and night wakings.

Good luck
Layla

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline legend_018

• I love bath time!
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 03:01:20 am »
oh my god I'm so frustrated. My LO fell asleep at 7:40pm but woke up around 8:15pm and is still up. it's 10pm. A person can only take so much of trying to get someone to fall asleep. It can really wear you out. I did end up bringing her downstairs until about 8:40pm but have been struggling to get her to go down since than. She seems to be in a fine mood, has had enuf formula and even some water. She learned how to stand up in her crib recently so she keeps standing up and making gurgling sounds. I sit in the rockingchair and try to get her to sleep on me as I have before and she lies on my shoulder for a few minutes only to act like she is WIDE AWAKE touching my face or just making noises and sticking out her tongue and smiling.  She's up in the crib now making gurgling sounds and just having a grand ole time. I think she is going to go down soon though. Something JUST isn't right. ok probably her ear infection right? but she isn't acting like she is in pain. She is only on day 2 of the medicine. I don't seem to see any signs of teething although just a few minutes ago when I was upstairs she was eating her hand.
I hear her crying a bit. that's a sign she's going to go soon I think. woops I hear a gurgle. Of course if she is standing she can't get her self back down so I have to go up and stop her from standing. It becomes this constant struggle. 

Offline legend_018

• I love bath time!
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 03:23:54 am »
It's 10:30pm and she's finally down. mannn even her normal bed time is usually between 8:30 and 9pm.
For some reason she doesn't quite know how to get down from standing in the crib? Cause she eventually starts whining after standing for so long. Ya this just isn't right. She' been up since 1pm plus the sleep she got after her bottle around 7:30pm. Although she has napped well during the day in the following example - but this isn't the first time I've tried to put her to bed early only to have her wake 1/2 or so later and be wide awake. welp time for me to go to bed.

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 07:50:41 am »
At 9 months mine learnt how to stand up and I was told to just leave her to learn on her own but she would just let go off the rails and just land whereever it would take her (very dangerous) so what I did was spend a day during her awake times teaching her. I took her fav toy and placed it on the floor (we did this in the cot as well as the play pen) and bend her legs to encourage her to go down and get it. I am not kidding, it took about a day of going up and down and up and down until she learnt. I agree that if you keep doing it for her, it's a game. Maybe encourage her to learn by offering something she would really want to get down for. Initially mine did the splits (so to speak) to get herself down and then eventually learnt to bend her legs.
HTH

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 08:11:50 am »
definitely practice the standing and getting down.. this one was a big blip for sleep for us. liv reacted to each milestone wanting to practice in her cot. they figure out how to stand before they figure out how to get down (seems a ascary long way to go down so they can be afraid to let go)

i woudl definitely think she was overtired tonight
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline legend_018

• I love bath time!
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 15:34:15 pm »
here we go again. She slept until 7am. It might of been a little after 7am when she woke up. well she woke up at like 4am for a bottle.
it's 10:36am now. I have been trying to get her to nap since 9:50am. She's standing in the crib crying her eyes out. I go up there and try to get her to lie down on her tummy and than she just eventually stands up again.
i don't know if I should give up and try again later "ok here comes overtired" or keep trying now. It's very frustrating to struggle through these nap times. I would rather just let her stay up all day and all night if she wants too "lol". ok being a little silly now.

Offline legend_018

• I love bath time!
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 15:38:53 pm »
ok it's 10:40 and I went upstairs for the 5th time and she was crying so I put her on her stomache and patted her back "as I have been" and she "I BELIEVE" is finally going down. of course if she wanted to she's due to eat at 11am which happens to be in 10 minutes. cant wait to see what kind of nap she's going to have. she eats every 3-4 hours on average. I tried giving her a bottle early but she wouldn't take it. sometime she does that or I'll just wait until after her next bottle. I think she might be sleeping now though. I'll have to go check but she was sort of sleeping when I walked out of her room.

Offline legend_018

• I love bath time!
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 18:20:34 pm »
well she wasn't quite crying when I left her. she would stand up and not cry but than eventually start crying.
She i standing against her play thing now so maybe i'll let her try to get down. I did earlier try to bend her legs but it wasn't easy 'lol'.

she has been sick with an ear infections so up times have been UNREAL. for example 2 days before the was diagnosed she was up for 3 straight hours in the middle of the night. In a good mood wanting to plan. Than another night she was up for 2 hours crying a lot. That was the night before the diagnoses.

her uptimes are about 2-4 hours on average. However, lately we've been sort of skipping out on the last nap. It appeared that she would take a bit of a later nap "not waking up until 2pm/3pm so we ended up skipping the last nap. Thanksgiving for example she wouldn't go down for a mornign nap and finally napped at 11:45am to nap a good 3 hours I believe. So she never napped again before bed.

I usually stay in the rocking chair but now she sits on me and instead of lieing her head down she wants to play. Before she started standing she would whine and maybe cry a little here and there and put her self to sleep. if she started crying that usually meant she was overtired and needed me to pick her up and let her sleep on my shoulder for a few minutes and than I'd put her down.

Offline M and N's Mom

• Sari - Mom to 2 Spirited Kids!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • They're growing up so fast!
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 20:44:18 pm »
I did earlier try to bend her legs but it wasn't easy 'lol'.

We actually found it easier to gently lower DS down onto his bum as we were teaching him.  He got it, but he still stands up in his crib all the time when he is upset.

Offline legend_018

• I love bath time!
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 21:02:30 pm »
If I stay up with her in her room - she'll just stand up and play standing up "lol". Am I suppose to just watch that?  I am now trying for nap #2 before it gets too late. It's 4pm now. I think she slept earlier from about 10:30 to about noon time or so. I was busy doing something so I can't remember if it was closer to 12:30. So I just put her up there and she is acting pretty active but i came downstairs. she played for a bit and now she's crying. I got to go check on her. not sure if she is standing or not.