Author Topic: I think my 2.5 yr old has insomnia.need help  (Read 780 times)

Offline Cheyannesmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
I think my 2.5 yr old has insomnia.need help
« on: December 08, 2006, 12:57:58 pm »
My 2 yr old has been a great independent sleeper since birth.  After we moved her to a big girl bed we had the regular ups and downs of the new independence. But lately it has been different.........I put her to bed and she doesn't get upset, usually falls asleep within 1/2 hr but seems to wake for no reason and can't fall back to sleep....she is not cranky or unpleasant but then she will be up from anywhere from 2-3 hrs which I am sure is not good as she hasn't had a good night sleep in over 2 weeks.  I feel bad for her and want to help her.   Has anyone else experienced this?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I thank you in advance

Laurie

Offline Mum to cool dude

• Seven Of Nine
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 52
Re: I think my 2.5 yr old has insomnia.need help
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 13:47:50 pm »
Are you sure she's not working on her 2 YO molars ?

It was not as bad for us as you describe it but 2 weeks ago, my 2 YO went through a short spell of 3 nights of being awake for 2/3 hours for what seems to be no apparent reason. My hunch was that, whatever happened, he couldn't get over it immediately and got himself more and more overtired. So over that weekend, I let him have as much sleep as he could get and followed up with him going to bed earlier after that. One week after that episode, he was up again but this time he was able to tell me that his teeth were hurting, so at least there was something I could do about it.

I hope it gets better for the two of you. It must be quite disappointing when your previously good sleeper starts having sleep difficulties - at least mine has been consistently poor  ::)

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
Re: I think my 2.5 yr old has insomnia.need help
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 16:34:29 pm »
About once to twice per week my 28 mo old will wake in the night and can be awake for 2 hours as well, especially if she wakes in the second half of the night.  In order to avoid overtiredness I put her down atbout 30 minutes early for her nap and 30-45 early for bed for a couple of days to nip it in the bud.  You may need a few days of early naps and early bedtimes to stop the night wakings but that's the only thing that works for us. I'm never sure exactly what wakes her.