Author Topic: Dropping to one nap  (Read 593 times)

Offline Tuty

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Dropping to one nap
« on: December 11, 2006, 06:46:09 am »
DD is 9 months and wouldn't take more than one nap. Initially I was told her A time is too short but even if I extend it she just refuses to take the second nap. Today, for example she slept  an hour and a half in the morning (9:20-10:50). I put her down again at 2:45PM after she almost fell asleep on the bottle. As soon as I put her in bed, she's up and playing with her stuffed animal. I left her in bed until 3:30PM, picking in from time to time and she was walking around and exploring her crib.. I tried getting her to sleep at 3:30, but nothing worked, it seemed like a game to her: I'm patting she tries to get up, I put her down etc..

Her routine used to be (with a total of 2-3 hours of napping):
Wakeup: 6/6:30
S: 9:00 (usually over an hour)
S: 13:30 (varies)
Bedtime: 6:30/7:00 (the later she goes to bed the earlier she wakes up in the morning..)

With refusing the second nap she wakes up at 6:30/7:00AM (and wakes up once  :-\). She's usually tired around 9:30AM (and sleeps about an hour and a half) and then, if I can't make her even take short second nap, she's in bed at 6PM (sometimes falls asleep on the bottle).

Should I try to put her down earlier for the second (today it was almost 4 hours, maybe she was already over tired, but I figured she slept so much in the morning she needs more A time)?

Should I play it by her and let her nap as she wants? Should I rearrange her schedule to a single nap? She's way overtired if she naps only in the morning and wakes up once at night. Should we put her down earlier at night (we try to get her in bed by 6PM).

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 171
Re: Dropping to one nap
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 07:34:16 am »
have you tried shortening her morning nap? Perhaps if you woke her after 45-60 minutes she would take an afternoon nap. I have had to start doing this with dd.
Also you may well be right about the overtiredness- dd at 11 months can still manage max 4 hours awake time before she gets totally wired and then can't go to sleep at all.
Suggest shortening her am nap and also then shortening her A time to try for a second nap. Although some babies do go to one nap at 9 months, for most it is too soon and causes awful overtiredness.
]