Author Topic: Previous good eater, now not so good...  (Read 918 times)

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Linnea Beatrice Christina - January 5, 2006
Previous good eater, now not so good...
« on: January 02, 2007, 02:22:30 am »
Hi there,
DD turns 1 on Friday. She has been doing great on solids for several months and all of a sudden she doesn't like any vegetables or fruits or proteins. She has become super-picky, whereas before she used to eat anything I served up.  Lately, she reaches in her mouth and pulls out anything she doesn't want, and that includes banana, yogurt, pasta, sweet potatoes, anything that she used to love. I'm confused. Today, all she had was a couple of spoonfulls of cereal, two slices of whole grain toast with cream cheese and a few pieces of cheddar. Not for us not trying to gently coax with lots of other options (two kinds of yogurt, pear, grapes, pasta in cheese sauce, steamed carrots).  I'm just confused - I don't want to force the food issue and make it a battle for fear of turning her off eating all together, but I also don't want her to go to bed without having had dinner (as she'll wake up through the night then).  And what about a varied diet, if all she'll eat is toast!?!?!  Mealtimes used to be an enjoyment to us all and it's getting to be something we dread now.

Is this a 'stage'? Any suggestions on how to overcome it? How do we get other foods into her? 

Thank you all!

Offline linfran

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 149
Re: Previous good eater, now not so good...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 15:35:14 pm »
My ds is a little younger and went through this phase - and my bestfriend's 2yo dd is doing exactly the same!

With ds, he tends to eat more if we have our meal with him - it also stops me fixing my entire attention on his food intake.  Also he has a miniature fork which he'll eat more off than the spoon - perhaps it makes him feel like a big person.  I reckon if they're getting fluids and aren't waking hungry at night and they're happy enough it'll pass.

And, if it's any consulation my mum told me my 35 yo brother would only eat mince, potatoes and peas as a child - this went on for months!!!!  He is now 6'3" and is built like a tank - and he still loves mince potatoes and peas!

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 15:51:10 pm »
I feel your pain! I kept reading it is a stage, welcome to toddlerhood, they all become picky, they'll like a food one day and not the next  etc...I couldn't take it...very frustrating!!  Especially like you, LO was a fantastic eater. He was only eating applesauce, yoghurt, cheese and BM. 

Well, he is back after almost a 2 month blip!  Hooray!  :)  In that time he cut all 4 molars and all his eye teeth.  Could this be your DS's problem?  The molars cutting make it very hard to chew.

Just a thought,

Aisling x

Offline linfran

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 19:35:15 pm »
Funny, I think he is teething again - already has 11 (had them by 9mo) so we've had a bit of a break from the old teeth.

At least cereal is fortified with vitamins and stuff and there's calcium in the cheese.  Guess we should thank our lucky stars it's not sweets they want to scoff all the time.

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 20:11:15 pm »
Indeed, better than sweeties!  We were the same, early teether, then had a lovely break at 9months until his 1st bday..and then...aaargh. >:(  Well, it is over now until the 2nd year molars, which I am sure no doubt will also come early, but will enjoy for a bit.  He is eating like a superstar again, so that is good.  Hope this passes for you quickly.  Keep us posted.

Aisling x

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Linnea Beatrice Christina - January 5, 2006
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 21:45:09 pm »
Thanks you guys for the support. It's always nice to know you're not alone having these struggles!  I was thinking teeth, too, but she doesn't have any other signs or symptoms right now.  She's been very slow with teeting -only has 4 so far! But then I thought, if she's eating toast, which is pretty hard, it can't hurt her that badly!!!  This morning, she had 5 oz of her bottle and maybe 3 spoons of cereal. Will be interesting to see what the daycare provider says about her intake all day...Keep me posted on how you guys make out. It seems though from your posts, that it is indeed a stage and given time, our good eaters will return...

Offline Mum of girl, boy, boy

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • From UK living in Western Australia
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 21:03:31 pm »
This sums up where we are at. My Angel 2nd child who has never refused a solid meal since Broccoli at 6.5 months has for the last two days refused he main meals. He does the hamster thing. Holds it in his mouth. I have been through this with my first child except she would spit it out. She hit 13 months and started to refuse things. I found it soo soooooooooooooo tiresome but we got through it. She's now 2.5 and tries all sorts of things and I am really proud of how well she does eat. I kept offering things that she refused and then one day she started eating the rejected foods again. The hardest thing I found was that she is super super grumpy when hungry and the rule of not offering a different dinner was really hard work as within 30 minutes she would be crying with hunger again. I couldn't follow this to the letter as DD was way to spirited but I tried as much a possible. It's all well and good them saying in the books not to offer other foods until the next meal time but trust me my daughter is a bear to be around if she doesn't eat well. We had to find a balance but I think the thing is to keep serving up different foods. If you think something is going to be refused try it at the weekend when you have help around then there will be more distractions if it is refused.

Not sure if this helps but I will keep be hanging out here for support to. I think one of the reasons it is so hard is that we have all worked hard to get the little ones sleeping well and for the routine to be disrupted by bad eating is really frustrating. DS didn't eat his tea tonight and lunch was pretty crappy.  I offered his usual breast feed before bed which he took but he was still too hungry to go down (he's normally out like a light). I ended up giving him a couple of weetabix whilst still in his grow bag just so he would go to sleep and stay asleep. I just hate doing it but we all need a night sleep. I hope he starts eating again tomorrow. I might try some bonjella on before meals to see if it helps.

Rambling now so will go.

Good luck

J
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309959.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309974.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309963.png[/img]

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 01:22:47 am »
((((HUGS)))))  and good eating vibes--------   J -Max and Lottie's Mum

Aisling x

Offline Mum of girl, boy, boy

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • From UK living in Western Australia
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 09:32:25 am »
Thanks. You to. the Weetabix caused more problems last night. He did settle straight after it but then poo'd twice in the night and wasn't settling very well. His bum is red and every time he wee's or poo's it hurts. We've never had sore bum before so perhaps it is teething causing all this funny things.

He's as happy as larry this morning but will wait and see what lunch brings us.

Cheers again.

J
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309959.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309974.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309963.png[/img]