Author Topic: Missing spirited lo's cues  (Read 874 times)

Offline mysterymia

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: January 04, 2007, 08:43:26 am »
Hi girls, my lo is 6.5 months and we have battled settling for naps and short naps everyday until about a month ago when she finally started to show some cues. We are watching her like a hawk and still some day she is almost impossible to read. In a previous topic we looked at her routine and wind downs and all seemed reasonable.

I have had a day where I seemed to miss it for both naps. I generally pat in the first instance if she starts to get upset immediately I put her in her cot and sometimes this works. (if I leave the room if she is quiet initially often she is crying about 15-30 mins later and keeps escalating) If she is just grizzling obviously I leave her.

The general upset and not wanting to sleep we are managing but it is the days like today when both sleeps don't work. She just gets more and more upset until she is screaming and coughing etc. If I bring her out of the room (which I don't but have on occasions in the past) she will stop immediately (although will be sobbing) so I stay and keep going. She will be in my arms looking at the crack in the door which will have a sliver of light. I know that Tracey says not to hold them if they are fighting but she is much worse in the cot. At least if I can hold her until she stops then do PUPD. I have been doing PUPD but she is so upset that it usually takes about 30-40 mins to get her to stop crying to start PUPD and then about 20 of PUPD. It's not happening each sleep so its not that she is would get better each time and we could keep going. It seems to happen on the occasions when I can't read her or if we have to go out and she gets distracted by something (anything LOL) BTW her settling at night is generally great. I do feed and then to bed but she is mostly awake. (It's not that she is feeding to sleep as from previous experience she wouldn't feed to sleep during the day anyway)

Does anyone have any thoughts? I would appreciate it. 

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
Re: Missing spirited lo's cues
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 01:59:40 am »
What does her routine look like?

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline mysterymia

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 18:59:35 pm »
Sorry that it has taken me so long to post but things have been out of control.

An example of good day looks like this:

BF 0600
Breakfast 0700
S 0830-0945
E 1030
Lunch 1130
S 1200-1345
E 1500
Tea 1630/1700
Bed 1830/1900

We usually can't get her back for a catnap anymore as she is ready about the time she is ready for tea/bath etc

A not so good day looks like this

BF 0600
Breakfast 0700
S 0830-0950
E 1000
Lunch 1100
Had an appointment so tried for sleep in the pram only had 15 mins at 1330
E 1400
Tried sleep at home at 2.5 hr mark (like usual) after 1330 but no success
Tea 1630
Bed 1800

Tried going to be early which works fine except that the next morning is 0500! She seems to only ever sleep 11 hrs at the most and will sleep less if up later, which is unusual.

Whatever the day looks like she generally always settles well at night.

It seems that if I am at home and can watch her around the 2.5hr mark we have great success but if anything muddles it like going out or someone visiting all cues go out the window. I guess that I miss them but it seems as if everything changes when she is occupied by new things.

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
Re: Missing spirited lo's cues
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 02:10:32 am »
I would try for at least a 2.5hr awake time before PM nap. As awake time before bedtime is to long.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline mysterymia

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 02:31:02 am »
Thanks for that. We are working to about 2.5hrs of awake time and that seems to work at home (mostly) but it's the leaving the house that throws it all out. I am staying home all the time to keep her sleeping but at times I need to go out. It seems to be the occasions when for lots of possible reasons (had to leave house, she just is grump etc) she doesn't want/can't sleep and it all goes pear shaped.