Author Topic: 14 mo early waking success  (Read 1282 times)

Offline charlibabes

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 11, 2007, 10:56:28 am »
My 14 MO started waking at 5-6am for a breast feed at 9 months, at first she would go back to sleep, then she refused.  Then her waking would creep forward each night until it was 3.30-4.30, sometimes she woul d go back off, othertimes we had 2 hours of grizzling pu/pd etc.

I tried everything, I stopped feeding her at night incase it was 'habit' and refused milk until 6.30am, I gave her more dinner, I tried porridge for pudding as that has a slow release.... all assuming she was indeed hungry.

Finally I have come to conclusion she is not hungry and it is habit but by feeding her at all in the morning, even at 6.30 she still knows she will get milk sometime.  So I tried not feeding her at all in the morning and just giving her breakfast when I get her up at 7am, I have added an extra feeed in the afternoon to make up for it.

We had a couple of nights of waking at 4am where I had to go in and out every 20 minutes as she would settle and then whinge then settle again.  This went on for an hour then she went off to sleep for 2 hours!!  couldn't be that hungry then!!  Then after 3 days she went through to 6am, after a quick cuddle when she woke crying she went back off to sleep until 7am.

It'e been a week now, and there is a definate change, 6am is now the norm, am still rooting for 6.30 or 7, but it's bliss not waking at 4am any more!!

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: 14 mo early waking success
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 21:33:37 pm »
Good for you ;D, it is always nice to read success stories.

Offline Leosmama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 14 mo early waking success
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 00:48:49 am »
What an inspiration you are....today was the first morning I didn't bring any milk to my LO (he's been waking around 4:30 or so for quite a while now, which I've reinforced by offering him milk).  He didn't get back to sleep (has an intestinal bug and had taken a big poo), but he survived until our 7:15 breakfast!  I'm hoping that by sticking with this he'll eventually get the idea and stop waking so early.

Congratulations!  ;D
Jennifer, mom to Leonardo Joaquin, born 10/07/2005