Author Topic: Need help with a more filling dinner/bedtime snack!  (Read 2669 times)

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 151
Need help with a more filling dinner/bedtime snack!
« on: January 13, 2007, 22:27:34 pm »
DD is a terribly picky eater, doesn't eat a whole lot of the foods that she will eat and I think she just gets bored sitting in her high chair after a few minutes.  We're having some sleep issues (lots of wakeups between 4-7am) that I actually think are food related cuz the first and only thing she wants to do in the morning is EAT! 

So, what do you recommend that I feed her to help keep my picky little bird full for the whole night?

TIA!
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline NKmommy

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
Re: Need help with a more filling dinner/bedtime snack!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 23:41:19 pm »
We do cheerios and a sippy of milk while reading bedtime books, followed by teeth brushing and in bed.  It seems to do the trick to hold DS over until morning, even when he has been incredibly picky at dinner. 
Sheila
ng

binxyboo

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 00:00:23 am »
We do the Cheerios as well!

In the afternoons Riley gets a snack,then his dinner, eats a bit again with us, and then gets Cheerios before bed or whatever. He gets the most in when he's "grazing" like this.

Offline Mom2katiebug

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 00:09:50 am »
Greaaaatttt! She's just stopped eating cheerios.  >:(
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline momofclaire

• Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 00:27:38 am »
Claire turned her nose up at cheerios for a while and I gave her rice chex instead.  She happily ate them and now will eat both.
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 03:03:46 am »
Bananas are filling and make you sleepy - does she like those? Another good cereals - Golden Grahams (whole grain and yummy).
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 03:25:32 am »
Hi Casey,

A friend of ours has a DS who has been sick a lot and doesn't eat very well.  Her doc recommended this cereal, apparently it is more of a meal replacement than a breakfast food.  It is by Kellogg's and it is called "Tony's Turbos" yes, as in Tony the Tiger.  She said it has been so great as it has so many nutrients and calories for him and is high in protein.  I asked her if it had a lot of sugar and she looked like she was going to strangle me and said: "I am so happy he is eating and it is good for you, the sugar is a bit high, but you know what, it is worth it."  So there you are.

Nello always has carbs with protein for dinner.  Tonight he had cheesy brown rice with veggies and chicken mixed in. Last night he was still hungry around 6ish as he ate at 4:30, so I gave him French Whole Wheat Toast.  Do you think Katie would like that?  How about cottage cheese?  Or sometimes I do this at lunch, I make a grilled cheese sandwich and put tuna or salmon pieces in it?  How about a cheese omelette?  Have you ever tried veggie burgers?  Organic Hemp frozen waffles (from health food store, if you want to know the brand, let me know) they have 6g of protein!  Have you tried risotto, she may like the consistency as it is similar to porridge.  How about Rice Pudding?

FWIW-the only time I have seen Nello go off of Cheerio's is when he was getting his molars.  He loves them again now.

((((HUGS))))

Aisling x
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 03:28:02 am by aisling »

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 03:36:14 am »
Stacy, you are hilarious!  Thanks. Maybe that would be great for you Casey, is it in the USA too? I guess the black strap molasses, must make the protein level high?  I don't think we need them, my heifer likes Special K!  My Mum said: "Isn't that for ladies slimming!?"  I said, does he look slim Mum!  LOL.

A x

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 03:49:02 am »
DH does breakfast (lucky, I know) and they both eat exactly the same thing, well Nello doesn't have the Espresso!  They eat Specail K and all natural Muesli -no sugar in plain yoghurt (not with milk and not so messy too!) with fruit.  We have pineapple on the go right now and it is Nello's fave fruit.  Then they have their toast and peanut butter or Hemp waffle in the family room watching Play with Me Sesame or Bob the Builder.  DH rips the toast or waffles into pieces and puts in on what he calls Nello's buffet trough. (His art easel tray) It is one of the only times we let him not eat at the table.  It is worth it for the male bonding thing. 

Aisling x

Offline Mom2katiebug

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 05:00:21 am »
I'll check out the links, but she's turned down life cereal and finds the Chex's too fun to squish with her hands.  Then it's messy and she definitely doesn't like that!   ::)  ::) 

Cheese is out - cottage, string, cream cheese, sliced cheddar, shredded cheddar and parmesan, and crumbled bleu.  I have some gruyere and fontina that I can try - oh, Mont Jack has been tossed out as well.  Yogurt is in again (thank god!) and she eats at least 4oz. at each meal.  Well, she does eat Mac-n-Cheese but only if it's the crappy Kraft kind.  If I make it from scratch for her, she just spits it out.

I can't tell you the last time she actually ate a vegetable, although I do keep trying.  I thought I'd snuck some in with some chicken soup last night, but she's like a dog.  Halfway through, she spit out a half eaten pea.  "Ahah!" I thought, "the corn is still in there!"  Well it came out after she swallowed the pasta.   ::)  She will eat some waffles and some toast (always whole wheat) but will only take about 5 bites.  I know that a toddler serving is only 1/4 of a slice, but she really only makes a small dent in it.  We've tried grilled cheese and it was rejected.  She will eat eggs but again it's only maybe 5 bites and then she's done with it and I have tried veggie sausage with her (after she ate a few bites of some real sausage at a restaurant, then rejected it at home) and she did try a couple of bites, but chewed them both up and spit it out.  I remember cuz it was the first time DH really witnessed her eating like this and he got really frustrated with her.  I mistakenly thought she'd do better with breakfast for dinner, but was wrong!  And I could be mistaken on this as well, but I think the yogurt that she eats is more healthy than rice pudding.  True?  I will try some more risottos with her - have only tried a cheesy kind and, well, with her distate for cheese, it wasn't a hit.

Like I said, she does eat a bit of toast/waffle for breakfast with some fruit and yogurt.  The one thing that she will ALWAYS eat is blueberries.  Oh and mandarin oranges but they give her fire bum on the other end so we have to really limit their intake.  She will eat a few crackers and graham crackers if she wants a snack (and yogurt).  For her meals, I'm still giving her the meat purees cuz she's still eating them - if I mix them with her yogurt (gross, I know but it does get a bit of extra protein in).  So she'll usually have one jar a day or every other day.  Lunch is yogurt again and maybe some crackers or toast, maybe some meat.  We do try new foods and we try them for a few meals cuz I know it takes them a while, so it's usually chicken that we cook, so we'll offer her some bites of it.  I do try to get a veggie in and have drowned them in butter to make them more appealing, but I haven't found one that she'll eat.  Oh and no potatoes.  DH's favorite food and he can't believe she won't eat them!  If she hasn't eaten well for a couple of days, I'll break down and make her some Kraft mac-n-cheese and she will eat some of that too.  Dinner is very similar.  Very boring!

One of the problems we have is that she sometimes gets mad when she doesn't like a food.  It's not like she just shakes her head, she practically has a meltdown over it and the meal is OVER.  We thought we would do try the new foods at the beginning of the meal when she's hungry.  Big mistake!!!  Then she won't eat anything and will scream to get down.  So, now we try to get something in her so if it totally offends her at least she's gotten something in her tummy.  But, it can still cut a meal short. 

Today I fed her 4 meals so we'll see if it makes a difference.  Oh and I bought some Pediasure at the store today to see if that might help fill her up too.  She sipped on some today, but her last meal was right before bedtime so we didn't offer the sippy. Sorry for going on so long!

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 13:50:24 pm »
Wow.  I am sorry that you have such a picky eater on your hands.  That has to be frustrating.  After reading I thought about TOFU!  It has wonderful protein and if you buy the soft kind you can mash it up to the consistancy of yogurt and possibly mix it in.  It doesn't have much flavor so she may not even know it's there.  Just a thought.

Offline Mom2katiebug

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 16:33:28 pm »
I can give it a try although I think she may have a soy sensititivy.  Gosh, I sound like I've got an excuse for everything, don't I?  We had been adding some soy protein powder to her bedtime bottles and she was having VERY strang poops.  Won't go into details, but I think it was indicating an intolerance. 

We have switched to whey protein and no weird poops.  I've also tried giving her a "super sleepy bottle" which formula mixed into milk (instead of water) with protein powder and baby oatmeal cereal mixed into it.  Man was it filling, but she could really only drink an oz. or two before getting full.  And, I guess that wasn't enough to last all night.  :-\

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 16:45:11 pm »
Another thing my little one eats is Polenta. We pan fry it.  Just trying to help.  I have neices who are the pickiest of eaters so I know what you are up against.  Their new thing is yellow or white food.  If it's not yellow or white they will not eat it.  So basically they live on noodles with butter and cheese!  Although they wont turn down a chocolate cookie...those little boogers!!

Offline lisi's mum

• Showing Appreciation 155
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 17:05:55 pm »
Casey, I'm sorry to laugh - but you just described Lisi to a T

she will tell me she's hungry but then meltdown when she sees the food, shaking her head and waving her arms. I have to force feed a spoonfull in holding her arms down, she will either then decide, ok, no, actually that's quite good or spit it out. If she's spat it out she's too mad at me for feeding her an icky food that there's no way anything else will get in there.

Right now she's off dairy apart from warm milk in a bottle like a wee baby, eggs, only likes white bread - licks the butter off the wholemeal stuff and throws it on the floor. Gone off veggies, all the other grains she was previously eating, we're down to plain noodles and clementines.

I bought a meal replacement to add to her milk, and guess what - she won't go near any milk with it in  ::)

Maybe Aisling's right and it is the teeth, but it feels like this has been going on for ever!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{big support hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Katie
Katie

Offline Mom2katiebug

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 19:40:31 pm »
I did get some Pediasure and she'll drink it an oz at a time which is how she takes her milk so that's a good thing.  I also agree that it's an entire day full of food which is why we're trying to get 4 good meals in her.  5 would be too many as I've been watching her hungry cues and it's about 4-5 hours between meals (if she doesn't snack).  At that rate, we can get 4 in each day.