Author Topic: What about Goat's Milk?????  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Nadia's Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • My Little Angel
What about Goat's Milk?????
« on: January 16, 2007, 00:47:23 am »
My DD will turn 1 year this month and I looking into the different options of milk to give her. I've heard that goat's milk is much better for humans because the our bodies digest it better than cow's milk (I'm also looking into soy milk). I was wondering if anyone has/had their child/children on goat's milk and how it went. I live in the U.S. so goat's milk is not the milk of choice for most people here but I've read reports that it is the choice for the majority of people in other countries. I was also worried about the fact that she would not have access to goat's milk pretty much anywhere here (school, resturants) other than home.

I would appreciate any advice on this topic.

Thanks,

Patricia

Offline Alibobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 91
Re: What about Goat's Milk?????
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 19:29:37 pm »
I have dd on goats milk because it improved her eczema. We were on cows milk up until a few months ago though, but there's been no problem switching - in fact she's drinking more! (I don't like it though. :-[ ) I tried soya but she refused it. I take some to the child minders, but have wondered about what she'll do later.

I have a girl in my class (age 4) who doesn't have dairy and she just drinks water at school and soya at home. I know that's a long way in the future though!
Alison, mum to

Offline Eloisa's Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 69
Re: What about Goat's Milk?????
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 22:36:45 pm »
Hi there :)

Ellie has goat's milk, when we started weaning her from breastfeeding she got constipated and then a friend recommended Nanny goat's milk formula, it worked a treat.  So when it came to weaning from formula i just mixed a little more goat's milk into the formula every night, I don't think she even noticed. 

I have read that soy milk contains a lot of chemicals that mimic estrogen and can affect sexual development and cause breast cancer.  There is a lot of debate around it but I wouldn't make it my first choice for dd's milk unless there was no other option for dietary reasons.

I don't really worry about the future because I think that by the time dd's in school she won't really depend so much on milk anyway, it's not like when they're little and need milk throughout the day. 

HTH!
love Michelle x

"If y