Author Topic: Full fat or semi skimmed milk  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Archiemum36

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Full fat or semi skimmed milk
« on: January 19, 2007, 13:27:03 pm »
Hi,

My ds is just over 2 and I was wondering is it still best he drinks full fat milk or should I change him to semi skimmed, not that it's a problem to keep him on full fat. He has a cup of milk in the morning and one at night whilst we're reading him a story in bed. We don't have a problem with his eating as he eats anything and everything. I was just wondering what everyone else does.

Sharon

Offline RegMum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: Full fat or semi skimmed milk
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 13:44:27 pm »
My LO is only 3.5M so I haven't personally dealt with this issue, but I recall reading that full fat milk is best for young children - you don't have to worry about restricting their fat intake at such a young age. Because they are so busy running around and growing they need a higher fat diet than an adult.

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 14:27:06 pm »
A friends doc said age 2 as the twins were chubby.  Mine said ok for reduced fat at 15 months.  As all the other stuff I have read says age 2, that's what I'm going with.  Especially as I have a skinny one.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline dkjokisch

• Showing Appreciation 43
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 18:33:39 pm »
I just discussed this with our ped at dd's 2yr check-up on Monday.  Dd is 5% for weight (22lbs on a good day), so he said it was ok to leave her on whole milk until 3yrs, then switch to 1 or 2%, but generally they recommended switching at age 2.  He also noted that whole milk is a significant source of cholesterol (and we need to be worrying about that even at this age), so it's not just the fat intake we're monitoring, but the cholesterol as well.  He also said they have raised the recommended intake to 24oz at her age (I had heard 16-18oz).
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

binxyboo

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 18:35:24 pm »
That's interesting that the intake has been raised...

Offline Archiemum36

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 22:59:35 pm »
Thank you for all your replies, I think I will have a chat with the health visitor I didn't even realise about the cholesterol in the milk, but at least I now know that if I run out of full fat milk it's ok to give him semi skimmed.

I see a lot of threads about giving up the bedtime milk and just wondered why you need to do this, is it because it will be harder when he gets older or he doesn't need it as he's getting enough calories in the day. When did other Mothers give it up.

Offline NKmommy

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 23:17:42 pm »
DS is 2 yrs, and is still on whole milk.  I read that if you switch to lowfat, they usually tend to make up the lost calories with additional food.  DS is skinny and a very light eater (and only takes about 5-8 oz milk a day), so we are keeping him on whole milk. 

Also, we still do a bedtime sippy of milk.  We are just careful to brush teeth afterwards.   :)
Sheila
ng