Author Topic: You all told me so...  (Read 812 times)

Offline abbysmomma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 26
« on: January 19, 2007, 17:36:39 pm »
Hi moms...

Well, this post is not asking for advice or anything... Just thought I would share something that happened the other night. Maybe other moms can learn from my mistake  :-[

So LO is currently almost finished going through a growth spurt (6 mo). In an effort to try and increase her calories during the day, I was feeding her at least 2 solid meals. Now, I was told that giving solids in the evenings might upset their tummies during the night. However, that day, due to strange naps and outings, I ended up giving her last meal of solids at 4:30pm (yams and rice cereal). I knew I probably shouldn't, but was curious to see if maybe having solids late in the day may help her sleep through the night (wakes 4-6 times a night these days).

Went to bed at 8pm (usual bed time), then woke up 8:30pm. Unusual, but easy to soothe. She then proceeded to wake up every 10-30 minutes until around 12am. I fed her and usually she falls right back asleep. NOT the case. Up rolling around, playing with her feet. At this point my arms are numb from draping them over the side of the crib, I'm drooling onto the railing, and am falling asleep myself (my bedtime is usually 10pm). Finally at 2am, I decided to try feeding her again - and AGAIN after the feed she's not asleep. Finally she's asleep at 3am. Up again at 5am. Soothed, then up for the day at 7:30am. It was probably the worst night EVER. The next day, around noon, I smell the most foulest thing ever. She had the most awful poopy. It didn't get on her clothes, but had to change the clothes because the odor had permeated through them.

Y'all told me so. Never again will I rush with the solids.  :-[

p.s. Isn't it funny that last night when she only woke 5-6 times, I was relieved? You know you got things bad when THAT'S a good night.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 17:42:15 pm by abbysmomma »

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
Re: You all told me so...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 09:53:50 am »
Just posting to say I can sympathize. DD is doing that tonight (which is why I'm on here at 4 am!).  She's been waking every single hour or less since 6:30 pm. I'm not 100% sure that it's the solids that are doing this but it's definitely food related.  I know ounce for ounce mother's milk has more calories so I think I will stop the solids for a few days to see if that makes a difference.

I just wish I had more time to get on the site to find information like this sooner. I wouldn't have thought that the solids might be keeping her up at night, especially since she's already 7 mo.  But she's got a sensitive digestive system and got constipated when I first introduced solids, so I obviously need to take it slow with her.

Thanks for your post warning other moms! :)
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna