Author Topic: 2 years of sleep deprivation, Help!!!  (Read 800 times)

Offline heatherpetunia

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 22, 2007, 18:20:05 pm »
I am new to this forum and am desperate for help. My daughter turns 2 in March and I have yet to get a full nights sleep since she was born. She is still nursing but I hope to ween her over the next few months. On a good night she wakes up 1-2 times and has only been able to get back to sleep nursing. Most nights (especially lately) she wakes up between 4 and 6 times. She has been nursing herself to sleep but sometimes will nurse for an hour or more before falling asleep completely. If I try to detach her, she puts up a fuss. she will often nurse for a long while on one side and then ask for the other.
My nipples are sore and I am desperate for sleep. I have tried the let her cry it out but she will cry it out for hours and scream and throw a terrible fit to the point of causing her to desperately cough and her eyes get swollen. She shows no sign of calming down on her own. I can sometimes calm her for a few minutes by telling her a story or singing or even turing on the television or my husband has taken her out to the living room to play to distract her from her crying but inevitably I end up nursing her to sleep even if it is hours after the initial "letting her cry it out" session begins.
Now my husband is travelling on and off for the next few months for work and I am at home alone trying to deal with this situation. I am unable to keep up with my housework and my business work(i work out of my home) and only found time to write this email because she is napping (I should be too).
Help, please!

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: 2 years of sleep deprivation, Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 18:21:04 pm »
Hey I am just going to move this over to sleeping for toddlers for you.

Welcome to the boards ;D

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
Re: 2 years of sleep deprivation, Help!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 18:37:32 pm »
Hmm, not sure if I can help much in the weaning department, but I'm sure one of Tracy's books talks about this.  There might be something as well on the breastfeeding or night waking board to give you some direction.  The sticky's at the top of most sections usually provide some good information.