Author Topic: Drawing with Instead of Eating Crayons  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Drawing with Instead of Eating Crayons
« on: January 22, 2007, 18:26:54 pm »
Any tips on how to get my DD (17 months) to stop trying to eat/chew crayons and draw with them instead? When she sees other kids using them she wants one but only wants to put it in her mouth and gets very upset if I try to show her what to do instead.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: Drawing with Instead of Eating Crayons
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 18:38:59 pm »
I went with colored pencils.  Less tasty.   ;)  Therefore, less inclined to munch them.  Crayons gave us the adorable avatar.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 00:54:23 am »
Crayola makes markers that only work on the special Crayola paper (ok, seems like a way for them to make more $), maybe she's be less inclined to chew on those as well?

Offline MomofLuka

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 09:27:14 am »
My dd did this A LOT until age 2. You'll be happy to know she no longer does it at all and can even be trusted to use markers, playdough and paints without eating them. I think the secret was that I sat down with her and showed her what you can do with crayons (besides eating them). Then I made a big fuss every time she made a mark on paper instead of putting one in her mouth.
Actually I think it was right about at 18 or 19 months that she got it, so your dd is probably close to getting it.   :)