Author Topic: average awake time between naps....  (Read 846 times)

Offline melbrad

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 31, 2007, 02:19:08 am »
What is a guideline for usual waketime for a 13 month old.  My daughter usually wakes at 7 and I try to put her down at 10.  Is 3 hours of awake time enough for this age?  She usally wakes up anywhere from 12-1230.  I then put her back down around 3 and she sleeps till 430 or 5.  She then goes to bed at 8.  How do I know when to transition to 1 nap/day? :)

Offline momofclaire

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
Re: average awake time between naps....
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 02:28:17 am »
Wow that is a lot of daytime sleeping....Can yours teach mine to do that?  I knew it was time to switch to one nap when dd started fighting going to bed at night and waking in the middle of the night.

Mine is 13 mo.  Her sch is.
8:00/8:30 wake
12:30 nap (1-2) hours
7:30/8 bedtime.

I think the most A time for this age should be about 5 hours. Is your lo sleeping through the night?  If everything is going well then it may not be time to switch.  Some need a little more sleep than others.
When you are ready to switch there is a thread to help around here somewhere.
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 171
Re: average awake time between naps....
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 09:26:17 am »
hi there
my lo is almost 13 months and has always needed slightly more than the average daytime sleep for her age. our routine looks like this:
6.30am wake
9.30am nap 30 mins
10am wake
2pm nap 90 mins
3.30pm wake
7pm bed

You will know when she is ready to start the transition as she will either fight her pm nap and won't go down for it, or fight bedtime, or wake up at stupid- o'clock in the morning (like 4-5am) ready to start her day (that's what happened to us!)
Then the thing to do is start to shorten her am nap by waking her, to ensure she still gets a good pm nap. We went from 90 mins, to 1 hour, to 45 mins, and now have 30-40 mins max. I have to wake her every day from the am nap.
If she still sleeps soundly 11 hours at night and clearly needs the daytime sleep to then I wouldnt' be in a hurry to make changes
k x
]