Author Topic: waking in the night to eat  (Read 773 times)

Offline new_mom_lisa

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
waking in the night to eat
« on: January 31, 2007, 15:56:00 pm »
My DS wakes twice in the middle of the night to eat (has been for a long long time) and he eats 7-8oz. During the day he usually only eats 5oz every 3 hours. It seems to me he is catching up eating in the middle of the night when he should be doing this during the day. He is very active, so I just thought that he is too inquisitive to eat during the day and at night he is relaxed and in the dark. He goes right back to sleep after eating in the middle of the night no problem. I was wondering what I could do to get rid of even one of the night feeds? It just seems so crazy that he eats so much in the middle of the night and during the day it's not much at all.

Also, He has 3 naps. Not long naps either. Usually 45 minutes to 1 hour. I tried the EASY routine, but sometimes after his nap he wouldn't eat. Wasn't hungry enough. I think because his naps are so short. Here is an example:

He usually has a bottle 4:00am-5:00am. Wakes at 7:00am. Never wants a bottle at 7:00am - not hungry. Usually wants it around 8:00am. Then naps at 8:30am until 9:30am. Now it's too early for another bottle at 9:30am because he just had one at 8:00am. I have to wait until 11:00am. Then he goes for a nap at 11:30am....

See what I mean. If I could get him to have a bottle at 7:00am. That might help. I have tried many times though and it's like he just wants to play.

What do you recommend?

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: waking in the night to eat
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 18:05:44 pm »
LOs usually have a huge growth spurt at 6 months so I would suspect that has a lot to do with his night eating right now. If it continues much longer I would then consider doing something about it. You might offer less at the 4/5am feeding since that's obviously interfering with the 7am feed.

You already know that the short naps are a problem - what have you tried to remedy that?
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o