Author Topic: do I dilute bottle or give full bottle at 4am  (Read 967 times)

Offline legend_018

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
  • I love bath time!
do I dilute bottle or give full bottle at 4am
« on: February 06, 2007, 10:55:07 am »
My LO is 10 months and a week. Lately she's been sleeping from say 7pm until 4am straight before waking. She usually gets up around 2/3am for a bottle of which I've been diluting. If she doesnt' wake up until 4am do I continue to dilute the bottle?

On normal days her first full bottle is between 6:30am and 7:30am. This morning was even super fun - usually I can get her to go back to sleep but this morning she woke up at 4am and after trying for 45 minutes I gave up. So my day started at 4am.  Some changes: Well yesterday I tried bringing her down to 3 bottles a day instead of 4 since she seems to be eating solid a little better. two of the bottle were 8 oz bottle where usually she'll have about 5-7 oz. Bottles were at 7, noon, and 6pm plus breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack to tie her over before dinner.  I had some problems with solids so she is just starting to do better with eating. The last 2 days,  I've had some problems with her naps. She skipped an afternoon nap the day before yesterday and yesterday she skipped the morning nap. I have to admit though the night before last she slept like almost 12 hours with the exception of waking up at 3am for about 20 minutes. I have the baby whisperer book and lately she's been falling asleep on her own pretty much. Would these warrant an early wake up like this? Now I have to bring her up to bed by 7am, which means one more bottle and no breakfast this morning. She really hasn't had a full bottle yet today, but than again its only 6am
Chayse was born March 28, 2006
Chaunda was born August 13, 2007

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
Re: do I dilute bottle or give full bottle at 4am
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 21:10:24 pm »
At 10 months you should be aiming to eliminate any night feedings your lo is having.

Is she waking at the same time every day?  If so this is more out of habit than hunger.

I would gradually start weaning her off the night feeds either by diluting them or dropping the oz's every couple of days, until she is making them up in her day time bottles.
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline litomi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 27
Re: do I dilute bottle or give full bottle at 4am
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 10:34:24 am »
I totally agree with Paula, you need to wean the night feed around this age. 
DD is around the same age as your LO (10mo) We had horrible night wakings and similar problem when she was 9.5mo old. She woke up between 1:30-4a.m and had her crib party for 20-30min. and then cried for me. I diluted the bottle, and she took only 3-4oz. I wasn't sure whether she was really hungry or she just needed to suck for comfort :( So, I just gave her plain water for few nights (she only took 2-3oz) and went back to sleep until her usual wake-up time. I was sure at that point she wasn't really hungry and she's old enough not needing a feed in the night. She has enough calories to burn. I did 1 night of PU/PD and no more night feed ;D