Author Topic: What I have to look forward to...  (Read 1226 times)

Offline jumblebox

• Lisa (Rilen's mom)
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
  • water fun!
    • RilenBlog
What I have to look forward to...
« on: February 09, 2007, 20:49:33 pm »
My extremely spirited, extremely active 10.5mo DS has been driving me completely up a wall, lately. Teething, and going 100mph from the moment he wakes until nap or bedtime, then back to 100mph. I get absolutely NOTHING done, while he's awake. This has gotten worse since the really cold weather, as we only have one car & I rarely feel like piling us all in the car at 7am (in 15 degrees) to drive daddy to work, go home, nap, another outing, nap, go get daddy from work. Too much for the cold weather. Anyway...

I was just out on our balcony, getting a break during DS's nap, when I noticed cops going door to door in our neighborhood. Someone up the street reported a 2-3 yo boy trying to get in a parked van. (No, not w/a stranger... just a parked vehicle.) Cops were looking for who he belonged to. Finally found a mom a few doors down who said "He's probably mine, since I can't seem to find my son!". And it was. I just know that a couple years from now, in the dead of winter & cooped up boredom, my DS will likely be that kid escaping the house and trying to find something new to investigate. This is what I have to look forward to, with a spirited child... cops showing up, asking if this is my son!  ??? :o
- Lisa (37)
DP=darling boyfriend/partner=Shane (26)
LO/DS= Rilen Christopher (Spirited: 3/21/06)
St Louis, MO US

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: What I have to look forward to...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 00:41:31 am »
LOL :)

Offline sophiems

• Showing Appreciation 41
  • My 3 monkeys!
    • Cloudy with a Chance of Books
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 19:57:39 pm »
I'm not sure if you're looking to vent or asking for some advice.  If your looking to vent, just ignore the rest of my message, but if I could offer a suggestion, keep reading.   :-\

One thing I would suggest is to be sure that you make time each day where the only focus is to play with your son and do an activity together.  Maybe 45 min to an hour.  Don't think about anythign else during this time other than just playing with him and giving him structured things to do.  When I started doing that, it seemed to help my son be more focused and less crazy when I was trying to do other things. 
HTH!
3 boys:  D-8, L-5, and C-3 and one more little one due 11/11

Offline jumblebox

• Lisa (Rilen's mom)
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
  • water fun!
    • RilenBlog
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 20:45:28 pm »
sophiems - He IS driving me nuts, but I really meant it to be a somewhat humorous anecdote. What happened to my neighbor (while, I'm sure, scary for everyone involved) is something I can easily imagine happening here, in the not so distant future. Rilen's just the kind of kid who would figure out how to escape the house and go exploring... he's just not tall enough, or quite mobile enough... yet.  ;)

I think part of our problem is that he's almost ready to walk... letting go of furniture for up to a minute, letting go and twisting to something nearby, etc. He tries to do pull-ups on his highchair, the kitchen table... his feet do sometimes even come off the floor for a couple seconds! Now he can reach the bottom part of the stereo, and loves pressing the eject button on the cassette player.

I do TRY to spend undivided time with him... rolling balls back & forth, active songs (itsy bitsy spider, etc)... he just tends to ignore me, most times. He'd rather do his toy rounds: 8 notes on the electronic keyboard, 2 balls in his ball-drop toy, stop to chew on a teether for 5 seconds, stand at the TV & change channels & turn it on/off a few times, pull some books off the shelf, drop to the floor to look at the book for 30 seconds, go bang on his xylophone... then off to the kitchen to split time between emptying cabinets & shelves, playing with his play table, beeping his toy dashboard... that's all of about 10 minutes activity for him.  :o  We've tried pulling out only a couple toys at a time, but he just gets bored even faster, and gets even more "investigative".

I'm sure he'll eventually settle down... maybe when he's a teenager.
- Lisa (37)
DP=darling boyfriend/partner=Shane (26)
LO/DS= Rilen Christopher (Spirited: 3/21/06)
St Louis, MO US

Offline GG

• Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 01:38:18 am »
Lisa, I foresee my daughter being the same way as your son. She already is bored of toys for her age group and wants to play with her brother's toys. Thank goodness that he's easy going with the toys and lets her play even with his favorite - his Little People Bus.  I plan to make sure she gets used to her playpen so that I can keep her in a designated spot when I need to keep a door (to the outdoors) open. *LOL* ;D
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna