Author Topic: Too many BFs for 7 mo? AND Is cereal ok?  (Read 964 times)

Offline dsavcom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 12, 2007, 02:44:05 am »
Hey there,

I looked at the sample feeding schedules in the FAQ and was wondering if we're doing it right.

Here's what we do for BFs...

Wake - BF
Breaky - Solids (2-3 ice cubes of veggies and 1.5-2 TB cereal) finish with BF
          - Usually 1 hr after wake BF
Nap 1 - BF when wakes (time varies depending on length of nap)
Lunch - Solids (2-3 ice cubes of veggies and 1.5-2 TB cereal) finish with BF
         - Usually 1 - 1.5 hrs after Nap 1 BF
Nap 2 - BF when wakes (time varies depending on length of nap)
Dinner - Solids (2-3 ice cubes of veggies and 1.5-2 TB cereal) finish with BF
         - Usually about 2 hrs after Nap 2 BF
Bed - BF

We don't do a dream feed.  He doesn't wake to eat during the night.

So, we're doing 4 exclusive BFs (which the FAQ suggested) but I also have 3 other ones after his meals.  Is this ok?

Are we feeding him too much?  He wants the food, but is it ok to give it to him if he wants it.  We never force him to finish it if he's not interested.

Cereal...

Also, we've recently heard from a few sources that rice cereals etc. shouldn't be introduced because they're a complex carbohydrate and baby's "guts" are still open (ie the molecules get in the blood stream through holes in the intestines) and can lead to allergies.  It's been recommended to stick to fruits and veggies only at this age.  Any thoughts?

Offline Johanne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
Re: Too many BFs for 7 mo? AND Is cereal ok?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 10:08:46 am »
Hi, we have pretty much the same routine and i too am worried that it's not working okay - mainly because my little man wakes lots and lots during the night and feeds to sleep - and he falls alseep sometimes after the post-meal feeds but only has short naps. he seems to start looking at my boobs half way through the meal and then cries til I pick him up and put him on. I am wondering if it is because i am not giving him water with meals or at any other time and maybe i should be now he is on 3 good solid meals a day and sometimes a morning snack.

Alex does have cereal - he has done for 6 months (but then we started solids at 15 weeks after discussion with our health visitor) and I know when I said he wasn't sleeping through the (other) health visitor suggested I increased his carbohydrate intake so i think cereals at this age is probably necessary.

Jo

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 11:34:52 am »
Cereal is not necessary at this age, but also not a problem.  The open gut refers to EBF babies and introducing solids prior to 6 months.

That does seem like a lot of solids for a 7 month old, but for dsavcom, your routine appears to be working with no wakings at night.  As long as you are offering BM prior to the solids (and the solids should be 45minutes-1 hour afterwards).

Jo - Breastmilk has far more calories than any solids, so increasing cereal will not help them sleep through the night.  I think you have more of a feed to sleep issue where when he wakes at night, he needs the breast to fall back to sleep.  Have you tried pat/shh or pu/pd at night?

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Mason's Mum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 04:41:50 am »
As long as you are offering BM prior to the solids (and the solids should be 45minutes-1 hour afterwards).

I'm sorry to but in - is this 45 minutes after you begin BF?  In other words, 15 minutes after you finish BF?

Offline Johanne

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 07:00:23 am »
I have tried pat / shh or singing twinkle twinkle little star which last night helped wakeups before 10.30pm but then from then on I guess cos i needed sleep her breastfed loads and um well, i didn't get any sleep. It's a bit like having a newborn again - he feeds every 2 hours! o idea what is going on!

Jo