Author Topic: 7month old still not sleeping through the night  (Read 1041 times)

Offline MandyWilson

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
7month old still not sleeping through the night
« on: February 15, 2007, 13:45:11 pm »
Hello
I have a 7 month old formula fed on the 4hr EASY(which is working pretty well).  He goes to bed at 7pm and wakes between 2am-5am to eat. 

We've tried gradually dilute formula for those feeds but that has not eliminated the need for the feeds.  He take around 1-4oz at night time.

Eats and sleeps fairly well during the day.  Eats 5-7oz per feed, cereal at 8am, fruits and veggies at 12pm and then cereal again at bedtime.

Goes to sleep for naps and bedtime without needing to eat so I don't think he has an eat to sleep association.

We have a good bedtime routine.  He has not started crawling. He maybe teething but we have thought this for 3 months now??

There were a couple of nights a week ago where he did sleep from 7pm-6:30am which I would be extremely happy with but I can't get him to get back to that.

Any suggestions would be great!! Thank You

Offline momofclaire

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
Re: 7month old still not sleeping through the night
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 17:35:52 pm »
How long ago did you start the cereal?
Teething can seem to take forever. I thought mine was getting teeth at 4 months and nothing showed up until 6.5mo. 
Are you sure he is not hungry at night?  There are some babies that still take a feed at 6 and 7 months, not many but some.  What would happen if you didn't give him the bottle?  Would you be able to settle him back to sleep?
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline MandyWilson

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 19:16:13 pm »
Hey
I started cereal at 4months, and he loves it.
I've tried not giving him anything (except his soother) but it usually doesn't work.  It did work for those 2 nights I mentioned.  I don't think he would calm down.  Sometimes he just takes an ounce or 2 then talks to himself in his crib for a few minutes, then back to sleep!
I don't think its hunger but I guess I'm not positive, I just thought that if he was hungry he would be eating a lot more at these feeds.
My family makes me feel like he is the only kid in the world who ever woke up at night to eat (at this age)?!?!  So I am glad to here that he is not!
Thanks for your help.

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 20:31:44 pm »
If you think he's not hungry then he probably isn't.  It sounds like he wakes and then is just dependant on the bottle to put himself back to sleep.  He is certainly not the only baby to ever do this by the way!  I would try to not give him the bottle when he wakes. Will pat shh settle him?  Why did you stop with the dilutiing of the bottle?  Have you left him to see if he will resettle himself?
I think he is probably waking and not really needing that feed. You may be able to get him past it.

Offline MandyWilson

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 20:39:25 pm »
Thanks for the quick replies
Shhh pat has not really worked in the past, but maybe I'm not sticking with it long enough??
We are still diluting the bottles.  He will eat 2oz formula and 4oz water, but he won't eat when it's 1oz formula and 5oz water.
I have left him for about 5 minutes-he just cries.  Do I need to be leaving him longer than that?
Thank you

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 20:48:24 pm »
No, certainly don't leave him to cry if he's really crying.  If he is fussing a little you can leave him to see if he settles. 
I would, if you want, offer him the 1oz with 5 oz water and if he doesn't want that then move on to putting him back to bed.  If you don't want to offer that bottle at all then you should work with the shh/pat and if that doesn't work over a few days I would try something else, maybe pu/pd

Offline MandyWilson

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 21:15:15 pm »
THANK YOU very much, I will definitely try that!