Author Topic: My 13month DS hates his first shoes  (Read 1192 times)

Offline knackered

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
My 13month DS hates his first shoes
« on: February 17, 2007, 18:36:02 pm »
My 13 month DS has been walking for about 5 weeks. He's never worn shoes up to now - just socks or bare feet. But I'd really like to be able to take him for a walk outside so I took him to get shoes today. We tried the proper walking shoes on him but it was if his legs were suddenly made of jelly. He couldn't walk with them on and he hated it. So we tried some slightly softer, lighter shoes - Clarks shoes designed for cruising - and still no better. I bought the lighter ones and thought that I'd try and get him used to them gradually.

Anyone else had a similar experience? Any tips to get him used to them?

Thanks
Anna x
Anna x

Offline maxysmum

• Steph mummy to Max and Loen
  • Showing Appreciation 145
  • my babies
Re: My 13month DS hates his first shoes
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 21:58:38 pm »
My DS had crawling shoes bc of slippery floors so when it came to proper walking shoes he was fine, however we bought him some wellie/snow boots to go outside in and he refused to stand and pulled them off, we just kept putting them on and tried to distract him with a fun toy or game.

Also we made him as comfortable as possible, by this I mean my DS loves to be undressed and hardly ever wheres trousers round the house so we stripped him to his vest/onesie and put the boots on this seemed to work after a couple of tries and now he will wear his boots whenever we go out.

HTH and makes sense
Love

binxyboo

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 23:27:01 pm »
Riley HATED HATED HATED all his shoes with a vengeance. He would cry if he even saw them in my hands. One day, DH just made him put them on and took him out to a rocky area that Riley always wanted to play in, but we never let him because of the no shoes issue. When he discovered he could play there with shoes on, this really motivated him and we have had no issues since then. Apart from the usual toddler reluctance to get dressed some days  ::) :)

Offline mrsrobbo

• Showing Appreciation 20
  • Bev, mum to Bradley, Paige and 9 angels x
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 22:28:30 pm »
We had soft shoes on him as soon as he was crawling so there was never any problems. but like maxysmum said when it came to snow boots he had trouble, he was walking like he had lead shoes on then he just got mad

Offline jayne

• Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 04:12:18 am »
gina would not wear shoes until she was 14 or 15 months old..she started walking at 10 months..we would just make sure we were walking in grass..

then the only shoes she would wear were keds.. she would just go limp and lay on the floor :-\
jayne

dd#1  05-14-2001
dd#2  08-06-2004

Offline holdenlouis

• ~Lisa
  • Showing Appreciation 24
  • I LOVE MY BABIES!!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 19:18:37 pm »
My DS doesn't like his new shoes on his feet anyway ::) He loves to walk around holding them though!! I put them on him and he tries kicking them off. Sometimes he gets angry and bangs his head on the floor ??? So I have only been letting him wear them a little at a time everyday to get used to them. Hope they grow into them soon before spring hits!!

Lisa

[url=http://lafemmebonita.com

Offline knackered

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 15:58:15 pm »
Thanks for all your replys. It take long for my little fella to get used to them in the end. I took them in to the creche in the morning and in the evening when I picked him up he was walking around wearing them! So we've been to the park a couple of times now and I've let him loose! So he sees the point of them now I think. It's a job getting him back into the pram though.

Thanks
Anna
Anna x

Offline LeslieG

• Showing Appreciation 95
  • Big sis Abigail Grace - lil bro, Lucas Haden
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 15:32:51 pm »
Have you heard of squeeky shoes?  These were my DD's first shoes and she loved the sound of them! http://www.littlesqueakyfeet.com/