Author Topic: He just wont eat...  (Read 2767 times)

Offline arial

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
He just wont eat...
« on: February 19, 2007, 01:39:39 am »
Well my LO is 9 months, almost 10 months.  For the past two to three weeks we have struggled with every single one of his meals.  He just simply refuses to open his mouth.  He wont even open his mouth for the first spoon.  No matter what I, play games with him, put fruit at the tip of spoon with main course in the back fo the spoon, and any other numerous tricks, he still will not eat.  It takes me an hour to just feed him solids, and that is with a lot of agony from both of us.  At times he cries since he sits for so long. 

You ask what does he like?  I do not know anymore.  Before he would eat everything I gave him, now he only would eat fruits and cheerios.  He does not like any meats, vegetables or bread.

What should I do?  It is really a struggle for the both of us when it comes to meal times.

binxyboo

Re: He just wont eat...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 01:49:45 am »
Is it just the spoon he is refusing? What other finger foods have you tried? At his age, he should be able to manage quite a bit. You could cut up bits of your dinner and let me go at it while you are eating. Riley usually eats better at family mealtimes than if he is on his own to eat.

Also, is he teething? I know Riley is a nightmare to feed when he is.

Offline arial

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 20:26:32 pm »
I have tried sweet potatos cut up and have him use it as finger foods, but he does not care for them. I have also given him toast with cream cheese, and does not care for them either.  He would eat bananas and cheerios.  I have tried to give him spoons of meats and vegis while he eats and gets entertain with cheerios and bananas, but most of the times, he would not open his mouth when he sees the spoon coming. 

What is in the spoon?  Whatever, I fix for him - usually pureed meat with some vegi.  I have tried to give him toast in the spoon to see if he would like it, but he does not care for it.

Other thing, my mom would not let him use his hands to eat.  (She cares for him part of the day while I go to work)  I notice that many times, he is trying to feed himself because when he drinks soup (he loves chicken broth), he usually tries to bring the bowl to him or sticks his hands in the broth before he drinks it.

Offline Lola

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
  • Missy M's Mama
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 20:37:54 pm »
while I was reading this I had a bit of a 1/2 smile on my face..not because of your dilemma but because I went through the EXACT same thing. i swore Madelaine was going to fade away to nothing off and on from 8-11 months. There were times when she wouldn't eat ANYTHING, mostly when she was really teething. I mean nothing..no yogurt, no sweet potatoes, no finger foods, no cheese even ..and that's a stretch for a cheese lover like her...

NEver fear...they will eat when they are ready. Very rarely do they ever go on "real" hunger strikes. Is your doc worried?
keep on trying his fav foods...he'll come around when he's ready..maybe he's fighting a virus, or teeth..who knows..they always keep you guessing..
have you tried a smoothie?

Offline arial

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 02:37:37 am »
Thanks so much for all your kinds words and advice.  I talked with my mom about letting him use finger foods and she says that she does allow him to use his hands to eat, but only cheerios and fruit puffs.  She does not allow him to eat banana and other foods with his hands - she finds it too messy.  I am really not against it, and many times, I think it is his way of getting some independence. 

For dinner, he really was not wanting to eat... so I cut some banana and after playing with it for a while, he started eating them.  After that, it was a bit easier to feed him with the spoon.  Does anyone have any other suggestions?  THANKS ALL... WHAT WOULD I DO WITHOUT YOU BABYWHISPERED MOMS.. :D

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 09:48:59 am »
Arial - YES, it is messy  ;D!!!! But you do need to try and convince your mum that messy is really no big deal. Isabella went through this - she only ate with her hands and still does sometimes  ;). My mum also protested and said that I'm teaching her bad manners but you know what, they are babies, and they are supposed to be messy. I see meal times as pleasant times and not forcing her to eat out of a spoon just because its the "right way" but as her enjoying and experimenting with food. I honestly used to strip her down to nappies and singlet and let her get as messy as she would please. Also I used to put a towel under the high chair so at the end of the meal all I had to do was clean 1 towel instead of scrubbing the whole floor. Maybe get some really cheap clothes so that your mum is not too worried about them getting dirty. Our high chair used to get a REAL good wash every 3rd day or so with a hose in the backyard but otherwise I would just wipe the mess away with a cloth.

Sorry thats about all I can think of  :-\
Good luck
Layla :-*

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline taygensmom

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 12:16:42 pm »
I work with kids who have "feeding issues" or refuse to eat. A typical child who is just going through a food strike will eat when he is hungry/ready IF it doesn't become a battle over food. However, if the meals are turning into hour long events and you feel like you ending up almost force-feeding him to get the food down you may be setting yourself up for bigger problems. I would recommend:
1. Limit mealtimes to about 30 minutes. If he hasn't eaten after that time, end the meal.
2. Continue to encourage his milk intake. The great thing about his age is that he still relies very much on milk, so take advantage of this!!!
3. Make sure he is not "snacking" on formula or food throughout the day and that there is a 3 hr break between "meals" and liquids so that he is actually hungry.
4. If he tends to take alot more formula than solids you may consider consistently presenting solids first (you may be doing this already) and then 30-60 minutes after your "meal" present liquids.
5. Continue to present a variety of foods (not just what you percieve to be his favorites). This is important, as it encourages variety and exposes him to different foods. Resist the urge to present only bananas and cheerios because the is the only thing he "likes".
6. Present finger foods first and then near the end of the meal offer the spoon. Allow him to finger feed and get messy! This is very important for his development and for his relationship with food and eating!!! You may need to really stress the importance of this with your mother.
7. Remember what you control and what he controls. You control where he eats, how long in between meals, what you put on his plate. He controls how much he eats. If you try to control what is his job to control you can set up a viscious cycle that can last well into the toddler years and may result in a "picky" eater who uses food to establish what control he/she can!

Hope this advice helped. You are obviously a very caring parent who is worried about her son's intake. Try these tips and see how he does. You can also keep in touch with your pediatrician so that if they have concerns/if he is underweight they can follow him and do weight checks. That being said, there are a few kids who have issues surrounding food that are more serious than just being a "picky" eater (i.e. always gagging on foods, refusing to the point of losing weight, choking while eating, etc...). If that is the case you can consult with a speech/feeding therapist in your area. However, it sounds from what you are describing that you have a LO who is just a typical eater who is on a bit of a food strike. Try the suggestions above for a few weeks and see how he does!!!

Offline arial

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 01:58:33 am »
Isabella & Jamine's mum:  THanks for your advice.  I will let little one get involved with his food as much as possible.  I need to make it fun for him.

Taygensmom:  Thanks for your advice.  I am really afraid of creating a picky eater.  I was already thinking of limiting his time in the chair, but he is so little and I was not sure that I should do.  Also, are you advising me to let him eat with his fingers first all he wants and then I would spoon-feed him?  He only seems to like cheerios and bananas.  I have only offered him bread with cream cheese and sweet potatos.  He would somewhat eat the potatos, but he does not touch the toast.  what else can he eat as finger food?

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Linnea Beatrice Christina - January 5, 2006
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 02:52:08 am »
Sorry to jump in...taygensmom, that was a fantastic post! Thanks you!  It convinced me that I was doing the right thing with letting dd get messy at meal times, in spite of protests from husband and my mom. 

One question for you though. As we still struggle at meal time on and off, it does get to the point of offering 5-6 different things to make sure she eats something and sometimes she still doesn't eat what we think is an adequate amount. And sure enough, she wakes up early starving in the morning or through the night. She's 13 months and usually a great sleeper.  Just wondering if it's ever a danger of getting into the habit that she knows she can wake and have a bottle of milk any time, so in her mind, why eat if she can play, if you know what I mean?

I take the most important point from your post is that she has to be responsible for something at meal times, and that's the amount she takes in, it's just hard from a parent's point of view. 

Thanks again for your most useful info (you must be an SLP?)

Maria

binxyboo

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 03:17:21 am »
Taygensmum, you may have some info on this, so I will pick your brains if you don't mind. I worked in early interventions programs for children with ASD. I remember learning about how food the consistency of Gerber 3rd stage (lumpy mixed with puree-ish) is not a natural progression as far as food goes. I cannot remember who said this, it was part of a conference, the lady ran some eating clinic somewhere in the States (all my onfo on this is in another country and it was some years ago now, so forgive the lack of info). It should go in stages such as purees, slightly thicker, then hard munchables etc. Have you any more info on this?

Offline taygensmom

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 04:35:25 am »
Hello everyone! Let me try to respond to all the great comments/questions:
Arial - Do you mean you were not sure whether to limit his time in the chair because he is so little in size/weight and you are scared he will not get enough? If so just keep in mind that the length of time he sits there does not necessarily equal more intake, and if it creates a battle over food could lead to less intake overall. And yes, I would advise to let him finger feed as much as he wants at the beginning of the meal, and then offer a spoon feed near the end of the meal. Give him a spoon too, and let him make the attempts while you are also offering a spoon. As far as finger foods, really the sky is the limit. Offer him anything that is relatively soft. A good rule of thumb for his age is that is you can "squish" the food between your thumb and forefinger so that they are touching skin to skin (i.e. banana) or close to touching (i.e. toast) the food is probably soft enough and your child will probably be able to manage it. My LO is 8 months and he eat cubed bananas, pears, cooked apple pieces, toast with melted cheese, bread, peas, small pieces of cheese, soft vegetables, cottage cheese, sweet potatoes, yams, even small pieces of chicken breast and other meats. Basically foods that are somewhat soft. At his age he can eat alot of foods that you eat for dinner, just broken into small pieces. Stacy's post is great in stating that you have to offer and re-offer new foods many times before a LO will accept it. Often up to 15 times or so, so just keep offering and let him explore!
Maria - This is a tough cycle that many parents find themselves in. They give their LO some foods during a meal. Their LO refuses them, so the parent either a) begins to "short-order cook" in a desperate attempt to get the LO to eat something or b) waits in agony to hear their LO in the middle of the night/early mroning wanting a bottle or food!!! You have to be careful with this, as you can accidentally encourage your LO to either hold out for their "favorite foods" during a mealtime or hold out for a bottle in the middle of the night. During meals I give my LO a variety of foods (usually 3 or 4 from different food groups) and then let him eat. If he refuses or eats very little of the foods presented, I do not "short-order cook" or make him something else. While there is no harm in offering a favorite food as a substitution for the meal you present once in a while, consistently doing this often results in a "picky eater" who wants the same food for breakfas, lunch, and dinner and a "exhausted mom" who is preparing 3 idfferent meals for 3 different children! Yikes! Now the true key to this is to really establish a consistent feeding routine and meal/snack times. You want to set up your feeding routine so that feeds are spaced out enough that you LO is sufficiently hunger at the beginning of a meal and ready to eat (as oppsed to snacking throughout the day). You LO's system will adapt to this and she will start to get hungry at these times. If you run into a situation where your LO is then wanting to eat in the middle of the night or early in the morning because she didn't eat enough during the day, you may need to spend some time teaching her to be hungry/eat at mealtimes instead of at night. You can think of it in terms of if you had a baby who no longer needed to eat an night, but was doing so out of habit or because she didn't drink enough during the day. You could address in a number of ways such as diluting the bottle, offering less every few days, or depending on your parenting style not responding to the waking with a feed.
Oh, and yes I am an SLP :D
Binxyboo - There are many SLPs who believe that Stage 3 foods are not really a natural developmental progression when children are learning to eat. There are others who do believe in including lumpy pureed in the progression and treatment. My take on this is basically that it depends on the child. I have worked with many children with ASD. Most children with ASD do have trouble with stage 3 foods. Some get "stuck" on stage 2 pureed and are unable to advance past this stage. Some move quickly from stage 2 to crunchy foods and then begin refusing all pureeds and any other textures. Most children with ASD also are vary limited in variety of foods accepted. When I treat a child with ASD who is having food issues I look at what they do accept. For example, if all they accept is 3 different pureed foods I will first work on expanding their variety of pureed foods that they accept (i.e. till they will accept 15 pureed foods) and then work on advancing textures. If I think the lumpy pureed foods will be too difficulty for them I will go right to the chewables. Conversely, if all they accept is 3 different crunchy foods then I will start there to expand variety (i.e. getting them to the point of accepting 15 different crunchy foods) and then slowly have them move to foods that are softer and not as crunchy. The thing to keep in mind with children with ASD is that they often do not follow the normal progression (i.e. pureed, thick pureed, soft solids, hard solids) due to their sensory issues, so your order of presentation may jump around based on what they are showing you. Not sure if I really answered your question but hope that helped. Are you an SLP too?

binxyboo

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 15:19:02 pm »
Thanks for the response. No, I am not an SLP. I worked as a behavioral therapist.

I understand what you are saying. I wish I could remember the name of the person I am thinking about so that I could explain better. Mommy brain.

Thanks again though!

lilmonkey

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 03:43:21 am »
Arial - I totally understand about your mom not wanting your lo to use his fingers at meal times.  My mom used to take care of dd from 14 - 25 mos and she doesn't like fingers in food (we're Asians!)  Anyway, we decided to let dd use a small dessert fork instead.  There would be several on hand and we would pierce the food for dd until she can do it herself.  I think that dd learned how to use a fork before the spoon. 

HTH

Offline arial

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 01:52:18 am »
Thanks for everyone's suggestions.  Things are getting a bit better, but there is still a lot of struggle at dinner time.  I have adjusted the time thinking it would make him hungrier but it does not seem to be the case.

I have certainly limit his time in the highchair.  I have continued to offer him fingers foods, and even different kinds.  He refuses the spoon less in the morning, but for dinner he refuses it sometimes, from the start.  I know he is trying to feed himself since he is always wanting to dip his hands and put a spoon inside the bowl of food that I feed him from.  I set a bowl on his highchair with his finger foods, but he is not even interested in them.   Many times, he does not even touch them.  SOMETIMES, the only way that I can get him to eat some of his finger foods is by offering him some cheerios or bananas so that I can get the feeding himself going.  Boy, if I cannot offer cheerios often, how can I encourage him to eat with his hands?  Sometimes, I just do not bring the cheerios and in those instances we just sit staring at each other since he wont eat his finger foods and wont take my spoon.  Well,  you guys provide me with great info.  I will think about what else can I do to get him to eat more.

Offline CJF

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 21:32:02 pm »
wow, stacy that is so intersting about stage 3 of baby food jars.  my little guy gags on the stage 3 dinners.  i always wondered why, but that makes total sense, cuz they don't know what to do with the lumps when it come from a spoon.  i can relate to when i eat cereal and i have a big bite of cereal with lots of milk on the spoon, sometimes it is hard to swallow the milk and chew the cereal at the same time.  this post has helped me soooooo much.  i thought my lo just didn't like lumpy foods or was picky becasue he gagged on just about everything.  it is getting better and he even is eating some cut up banana now (he wouldn't foe months).  i have to get adventurous and give hom more choices for fingerfood.
thanks, ladies!!!
....very helpful
Carolyn
Mommy to :
Emily 4/14/04
Joey 4/20/06