Author Topic: Advice for W2S  (Read 1242 times)

Offline babynat

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 21, 2007, 21:59:54 pm »
I have been trying W2S to fix the 45 min nap habit and several night wakings.  I have seen several posts about W2S - some of which gave up because it didn't work. 

I was just wondering, is there any insight into the timing to gently wake your LO?  Also, how much should I wake her?  I've been trying for 3 days now, and was hoping for a little success.  I saw one post in which it was tried for several weeks without any progress.

Is there hope?

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Advice for W2S
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 22:04:28 pm »
There's definitely hope  ;D  You don't want to actually, literally wake LO - just make her stir and change sleep cycles. Tug the blanket, stroke her cheek, something like that. What you do depends on how light or heavy a sleeper she is. My DS is a very light sleeper, so W2S for me was turning the doorknob to his room - not even opening the door  :o  That was enough to stir him but not wake.

It should be done 30 - 60 minutes before the habitual waking. From what I've seen people seem to have the most success with 30 minutes, but all LOs are different of course.

If you're doing it without waking LO, have given it at least 3 days to kick in each try, and have tried different time ranges, then it would be time to consider other reasons for the waking than habit. W2S only works for habitual wakings.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline babynat

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 23:27:18 pm »
For her naps, I have been going in at the 30 min. mark.  But - now that I read your post again, if she's waking up after 45 minutes, should I then be stirring her at the 15 min mark - 30 min before she wakes?

Unfortunately, on two occasions, I did wake her up, but she was able to go back to sleep.  This is only the third day so I'll continue to try it.  I am also doing it at night 3 times.  So, I'm pretty tired b/c she gets up another 3 out of habit.  I'm confident that she's not hungry because I do nurse her at 2 or 3 a.m., after the DF at 10 p.m.

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 23:53:44 pm »
Judging by your avatar it looks like she's a great sleeper.  ;) 

I would give it a try at the 15 minute mark and see if that makes a difference. If you were doing it before at 30 it probably wasn't enough time. Don't worry, it WILL get better!
Jessica

Offline JakesMom070606

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 22:28:41 pm »
I'm new!  In the process of transitioning my 7-month old from co-sleeping.  (I KNOW!  We are *both* majorly sleep deprived... just finished night #2...I've been dreading this but finally decided to bite the bullet.)  Anyway, he's not exactly self-soothing.  I still think he's using my presence as a prop.  (When he wakes, instead of PU/PD (tried it, bad back), I go in and either put my hand against his face or on his head.  He gropes his hands around until he finds my hand, and immediately is back to sleep... just feeling that I'm there.  I tried to put his stuffed animal in his hands when he's reaching and it worked twice lastnight.)  ANYWAYS!  My question is this: he's waking about every 1 hour during naps and in the night (since we started this... I guess because his deep sleep cycle ends and he wakes enough to realize that I'm not there) and I'm wondering if W2S might work for this?  I've never heard of W2S before this post. 

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 22:58:46 pm »
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=64168.0

This is a link to information on wake to sleep (W2S). It's not just for naps, it's a miracle for babies who wake habitually at night as well. It does sound like it might be the way to go for you.
Jessica

Offline babynat

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 23:42:28 pm »
Colinmac's mom:

I posted on the naps board, but haven't gotten any reply yet so I thought I'd try you since you were so helpful with this.  I can't seem to stir my LO at all.  I try everything and she doesn't move.  She is still waking after 45 min probably b/c what I'm doing isn't amounting to anything.  I'm wondering if she is in her really deep sleep and not waking.  I have been trying at the 20 min. mark.  Do you have any suggestions?

THANKS!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 23:53:18 pm »
Whoa, really?? She must be a very heavy sleeper!  :o   I always had the opposite problem. Roll her over maybe or otherwise change her position? Or would that wake her fully?
Jessica

Offline Gippie

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 17:32:21 pm »
Baby Nat -

We had some of those problesm back in the day (miss those days).  I can CLEARLY recall DH saying that "he wasn't going to jump through hoops" for all this sleep stuff....and then when he saw how well it worked, he was doing it right along side of me and for all of the work we did  (and still do) it PAYS off.   

We did and have done w2s with success, but another thing we did back then was to literally STAND In her room besides the crib at the 40 minute mark.    At some point, we rolled her facing away from us and at about 43 minutes, we'd lay a hand on her and immediatly start shhhhing her and she'd reselttle - it was all about catching her before she fully WOKE.     When we did do w2s it was at 30 mins INTO her nap - so 15 before the wake.    The other night, I literally SAT my DD up in bed and tried to rouse her, everyone has different thresholds for waking/rousing......you'll find the right one.  Good luck!

Stacey

Offline babynat

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 18:55:26 pm »
Thank you Stacey - that's what I've been trying to do - standing in her room, trying to rouse her and then creeping out.  I go BACK in at the 45 min. mark and either replace her paci, shh/pat or, if she has awaken, I have to pick her up and lull her back to sleep.  By doing all this, I can make sure she has at least a 1 1/2 hour nap but she hasn't seemed to respond to the W2S.  I have been doing it at night for 5 nights an hour before she wakes and haven't seen much improvement there.  Do you think she just takes a long time to respond or am I missing the window of opportunity? 

Offline Gippie

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 00:38:48 am »
Just hang in there...there is no magical number, just look at it as a HUUUUGE investment in hers as well as YOUR sleep over the next year(s) - I say until...cause I DO see some toddler changes, but nothing that GOOD , well established sleep habits now, cannot fix later.     

Wish I could give you a "time" - I'd say keep it up for a few days more and then, try JUST the shhhhhh, and then try it from the door of her room,.....use Gradual Withdrawl to help her learn how to transition.     

W2S does not work for all kids, it's a sound idea that has worked for us more often than not - but like I said and many moms will tell you -it isnt 100%.

Post back as to how you are getting on!