Author Topic: Big girl bed  (Read 3938 times)

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Big girl bed
« on: March 04, 2007, 00:16:52 am »
I've desided that after weeks of getting out of the crib it is time to switch to a big girl bed for DD. 

So far she thinks its all a game  ::)

Any tips to help me out would be great.

So far I've just been going in and silently putting her back to bed.

Wish me luck..
Kimberly

Offline aj

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 03:31:51 am »
Good luck to you and your dd - I'm sending some " big-girl-bed-lovin' " vibes to your lo ;D

Offline Sylvia.

• Showing Appreciation 232
Re: Big girl bed
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 03:49:36 am »
okay so it is that time for you, we have been there and we have done that

is she already in the big girl bed?

do you have the cot in her room still?

we used a side rail for 6 months, for the first few months i think this really helped, she never got out of bed once, but then the fun started, not sure if this is a bed issue, a potty issue or a ............ we have early morning waking now  :'( :'(

i'd love to see what other say, i think that moving into the big girl/boy bed comes at a time that most kids become more aware with what they can anc can't do, just being twoish

okay so i have not really offered you any help, tell me what is going on?

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 04:44:32 am »
Well it was interesting thats for sure...

Not sure if we're going to stick with it. DD thought it was all a game  ::) three hours later she finally went to sleep. The first hour was spent with me going in and laying her back down without saying anything to her. She never once cried the whole night.
Then she started to just sit up and play in bed, she wouldn't sleep but at least she stayed in it.
Untill she got out and got her little hands on some diaper rash cream  :o she managed to unscrew the top and got it everywhere.
So I put her back into the crib she was asleep in minutes. She woke again an hour later, drenched and with no diaper, so very messy, I figured at that point we'll try the toddler bed again, and she was out in minutes and has been since. We'll see what happens tonight.

She LOVES the bed, she just thinks it fun to have mommy come in a lay her down  ::) she threw a fit when I put her in the crib hence why I tried again.
Kimberly

Offline Harvey and Theos Mam

• Showing Appreciation 95
  • From S.Wales
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 08:19:02 am »
HI, not having much luck are you?

Maybe you shpould leave it for a week or so and try another strategy.  We have just put Theo in a new room and big boy bed (all at once).  We did it just the same way we Harvey and with great sucess again.  We started off with only naps in the cot so they got used to the new room and bed.  Just did the normal things we would do and Theo went off within 3 mins the first day and again for the next 2 days at nap time.  So on the 3rd day we tried him in the bed at night and he went straight to sleep and stayed there all night.  He has slept in there ever since and now we are taking his cot apart today as it hasn't slept in it since Tuesday.

Harvey was 16 months when he went in the bed and Theio is 14 months.  I know we worked hard on sleep training with both boys, butg they are pretty much angel/textbook kids.  So maybe that helped us a little. Oh and we were very consistent with it all, same routine just different room and bed.

Good luck and don't lose heart.  I think for us it worked out better because they weren't too old and attatched to their cots.
Rhian

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 11:34:28 am »
Kimberly,

Jaina was the same way when i moved her to a big girl bed.  at first, i'm pretty sure part of it was that she didn't realize that the bed was for sleeping.  so i'd put her in there, and leave the room & close the door.  she'd get up & start playing.  i'd go back in & put her in bed.  repeat 8 billion times (as you've been doing! ;) )

by the 3rd day she'd made the connection that the bed was for sleeping.  so, then i stopped worrying if she wasn't asleep.  at least in her room, her play was quieter & more low-key than if she was outside or even just in the house with me.  when she was tired, she'd go to sleep (and i have all sorts of crazy photos of where she'd fall asleep too!)

i did have a standard cutoff time - at 5pm i'd wake her up no matter when she'd fallen asleep; otherwise i'd never get her in bed by 8pm.

OH - one more thing - with luke, gating his door but leaving the door open has been what he needed.
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 12:33:10 pm »
I think we'll give it one more night here. Once she got to sleep she did very well. It was 9pm  ??? which is really late for her, but she wasn't cranky at all, and she didn't get up till 7:30am so it worked out. I heard her playing this morning when she woke me :) She really does seem to like the bed.
Kimberly

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 01:54:59 am »
SUCCESS!!! :)  Kayla went to bed at 8pm (she slept a little to long for nap today) and she stayed in her bed, by 8:30pm she was out like a light.
Kimberly

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 03:27:39 am »
Are you gals talking toddler beds or twin beds?  We are SO not ready for this...
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Sylvia.

• Showing Appreciation 232
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 03:28:17 am »
way to go kayla

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 04:05:14 am »
We have her in a toddler bed. Its a cute Winni the Pooh one that my MIL got her for Christmas :)
WE were going to just go to a single bed originally, but MIL loved the bed and got it for her, so we're using it.
Kimberly

Offline Harvey and Theos Mam

• Showing Appreciation 95
  • From S.Wales
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 10:19:22 am »
Well done. :)

We have a carbed which uses the same size matress as a cotbed.
Rhian

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 12:28:20 pm »
Kayla slept the night through in her big girl bed  ;D I had to wake her up at 7:30am this morning  :D

I'm so proud of my big girl...
Kimberly

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 15:13:09 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D
Jaime