Author Topic: Calming an overstimulated baby?  (Read 4042 times)

Offline kwaker5

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Calming an overstimulated baby?
« on: March 04, 2007, 13:10:50 pm »
Any suggestions on how to do this?  I try my best not to let my 4 mo get overstimulated/overtired but sometimes you just can't avoid it.  When I take him anywhere new, it's like watching his battery run flat in half the normal time.  Apart from never leaving the house, I don't know what to do!  I can tell it is getting gradually better as he gets older and now he can often find his thumb and calm himself, but everything I try and do just makes him worse and all that happens is he ends up screaming until his next feed, when the sucking eventually calms him down and he dozes at the breast. 

Help!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Calming an overstimulated baby?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 18:23:31 pm »
If you can take him somewhere with very little stimulation -- a dark room works well (even a closet), hold him tight, and play/make white noise.  That and time -- as they get older they get better at calming themselves down and turning away when there's too much stimulation.  dd1 seemed like she was always overstimulated, but it improves with time.

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 19:26:45 pm »
I agree with Erin, also if you're out will he not nap in the car/stroller? Orhow about getting him down for nap before u go out ?
But with regards to the actual calming, boy is it hard! Does he take a paci? Darkened room helps. With my DS at that age he liked his muslin rag on his face if we were out and he was tired. helped to block out visuals

Offline knackered

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 19:48:20 pm »
I found singing really calmed my DS - still does now he's a toddler - particularly Beatles songs for some reason. Maybe sing a couple of verses of Yesterday and see what happens!!
Anna x

Offline calebs mommy

• Showing Appreciation 24
  • My two favorite guys!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 21:35:18 pm »
Singing has always helped my son calm down, specially soft/slow songs.  My son has a blanket that he just loves and that helps in the calming process as well.  I agree with the others, time makes a big difference and moving to a less stimulating place helps.
Stephanie- mom to Caleb and baby boy #2 due July 4, 2008

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 03:30:38 am »
if you are using shh/pat now (or did previously) i found going in the darker room or a quiet space and just holding lo close while shhing near their ears distracted them from the feelngs of overstimulation and got them in a calm "zone" - definitely need to remove them fromt he stimulation for a while.

you kind of need to talk into account the TYPE of environment/activity when going out / having playdates etc so if normal A time was 1 - 1 1/2 hrs at home and you take lo to a busy environment plan on less time there (by 30-45 mn probably had enough IYKWIM)
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline kwaker5

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 19:47:47 pm »
Thanks for that.  Nice to know I am not alone on this.  He does seem to like a muslin to feel.  I do often end up putting him in the car/pushchair and driving/walking round until he settles himself when all else fails!

Offline Scrapbooker

• Laura
  • BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 20:49:12 pm »
My dd likes the outside.  Just walking outside while I hold her.  Also, she was easily overstimulated, but somehow riding in the stroller at the mall was o.k.  I think it was loud enough that it became white noise once I pulled the sun visor over her face.
Grace's mom