Author Topic: cold outside........do you stay in?  (Read 1794 times)

Offline bicah

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: March 05, 2007, 18:03:28 pm »
I am not really sure where to post this, so I will give it a try here. So it is winter and it has been anywhere from 10-30 degrees out. My question is..do you choose to stay in on those days or do you run your errands with your kids no matter the temp? My ds is 20 months and the both sets of grandparents make me feel like I should not be taking him out in the cold. So everytime I need groceries or have to do any errands, they always want to watch him for me or want to go for me. What should I do? Should I leave him home or is it ok to bring him out with me. It will be a long winter for him if I take their advice. It isnt like we are playing outside or anything, we are just in the car and outside for a bit to get to the store. I dont want people thinking I am a bad mom taking my son out when it is cold, but I feel much worse keeping him in. Any thoughts?? Thanks

frustratedmommy

Re: cold outside........do you stay in?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 18:09:28 pm »
Hey...I live in Northern Alberta where it's cold for A LOT of the year...we have extreme temperature changes...(super hot in summer, super cold in winter!) I know that when it's over -20ish (that's celsisus)...I don't leave the house unless I absolutely have too! To make matters worse I don't have any family nearby to watch my kids if I needed them too! So they come with me wherever I go (unless DH is home from work!)

But when it's cold you can't stop living. If your DS is bundled and covered properly for the weather, and you're not spending long periods exposing him to the extreme conditions, you are doing great! You know your child and your mother's instinct will let you know if he's uncomfortable! Good job and don't worry....

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 18:13:08 pm »
I like to get DS out at least once a day.  If it is really cold, I just bundle him right up.   ;)
Judy

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 18:26:53 pm »
We live in Manhattan/NYC and unless it's absolutely frigid or a blizzard or something we too go out at least once a day. Lots of bundling!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline linfran

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 19:37:55 pm »
We live in Northern Ireland and while it doesn't get really cold it can be very windy and rain a lot (a gale is howling round our house as I type this!).

I tend to wrap ds up well and make sure he wears his hat which covers his ears - he loves the wind on his face!!

I would actually be less likely to take him out if it's really hot and sunny - he is very fairskinned and would burn quickly if I didn't plaster him in sun block and keep him in the shade most of the time.

Offline mommy4life

• Showing Appreciation 24
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 23:04:44 pm »
I live close to daybyday....yup we go out and about in the winter. If it is tooooo cold we stay home aswell. Now that the kids are in school I have to go outside on the really cold days ...I drive them there...bbrrrrrrr
~Kim~
~Kennedy  July 2001
~Thomas  December 2003
*when a child is born....so is a mother*

kim@thebabywhisperer.com

Offline kim&savannah

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 23:09:12 pm »
I hate having to go out when its cold--just because *I* don't like it, but I don't feel bad about taking them to the car--we wouldn't go out to play if it was really cold, although dd likes to get out if its about 30 degrees and play in the snow, but to run errands, we do what we have to do--and I have a much younger baby too!

~Kim
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 01:23:28 am »
I swear to chocolate, I have proably only stayed inside with DS 5 x since birth!!!! :o :o :o  We are nuts though.  We go out when it is -20 C adn I don't mean just to the car.  Bundle up and get moving that is how we stay warm.  Tell the Grandparents that my DS has only caught a cold and fever 1x since birth and it was teething related.  They sound like very caring people though, at least they offer to mind your LO.  :) I think it is an old fashioned thought to keep LO's indoors in the winter. Bless them.

Aisling x
ps. here is a pic you can show them.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 18:12:12 pm by aisling »

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 18:52:18 pm »
I love that pic Aisling :)

It's not actually cold where we live now, but when we used to live somewhere colder I took Katie out pretty much every day (since she was 2 weeks old) unless it was raining/snowing out.  We did lots of stroller walks, I'd just bundle her up and go --- lots of layers and a blanket, a warm hat and some mittens and we'd be off!  :)  I wouldn't hesitate to take him out in the car at all.  I think going outside is what keeps me sane (and her too, she was always much crankier when we didn't go out). 

Offline esthere

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • all you need is hope trust and a little pixie dust
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 19:51:04 pm »
We live in Southern Ireland so its not as cold as everyone else there is plenty of wind and rain !!
I do bundle H up and take him out after 9 am each day unless its raining, He finds it very hard to be stuck in, and has beem like this since he was very small . We have even started to garden together. I think the fact you bring him in the car, and have him bundled is fine.
P.S. I hear you about long winters .....

Offline theasmum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 13:44:14 pm »
We live in Norway, so is realy cold here.
She goes to kindagarden and in there they play outside everyday, they sleep the nap outside in the pram too but -10 C is the limit for that.  ;)

Offline bicah

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 16:41:49 pm »
Thanks everyone for your input. I am going to start going out more with him when it is cold and try not to let the grandparents make me feel guilty.

Offline hotmomma

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 22:38:15 pm »
Hi,  I too am a goer, no matter what the weather I have things to do and go out dragging all my kids too.  I don't believe any of them have ever got sick do to the weather, just germs.  A few New Year's ago it was -35C and all of us bundled up and went ( my youngest was about 18mos), took some hot chocolate and did all of the out door activities.  Good pictures, good memories.  Mother Nature will always rule, so I don't try to fight her:)

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 22:47:55 pm »
If we stayed in because of the cold weather we would never get out ! It's always cold here or raining  ::) . I always go out at least once a day to give DS some fresh air . Just wrap up . We do play out , running around keeps you warm and it uses up energy  ;)
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .