Author Topic: PM's and the apostrophe  (Read 2464 times)

Offline Shdef

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 419
« on: March 06, 2007, 11:34:20 am »
Had a wee problem with one lovely lady on this board who wanted to write me a PM.
It didn't work with clickin on my nick. She had to remove the apostrophe first and instead of writing to "Scott's_Maw" which is what is visible, she had to retype it to "Scotts_Maw" which is how I log on now. Otherwise the user would be unknown...

Has anybody got the same problem?

LOL, that's funny. I tried to post this thread but it didn't work. all my other ones did but not the one in the "glitches" forum  ;D

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: PM's and the apostrophe
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 11:36:26 am »
Yup!  Happens alot.  I have learned which ones of my frequent PMers that I have to remove the ' from.  Not all of them though  :-\

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Gareth - Harvey & Theo's Dad

• Mac Daddy
  • Showing Appreciation 218
Re: PM's and the apostrophe
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 12:49:04 pm »
It's a known glitch that has occured for a number of reasons.  Firstly, this forum software doesn't accept special characters for usernames e.g. the apostrophe.   Last year for security reasons we switched forum software, the old forum software accepted apostrophes and there were some errors on the import side of thing.  Secondly, this software supports Usernames & Display Names, and the software gets confused if there's an apostrophe present in a Display Name.  Your Username (the name you signed up with) is the name the software defaults to in most PM situations :)
Gareth

Harvey - 18 Nov 2003

Theo - 24 Dec 2005