Author Topic: Iron question & Supper question  (Read 968 times)

shimzy

Iron question & Supper question
« on: March 29, 2007, 15:37:46 pm »
Madison is 8 months old now I have a couple questions:

#1 - She refuses to let me spoon feed her - most the time. Sometimes I can get an iron fortified cereal into her, for the most part - not.  She drinks Nestle Good Start formula (the regular kind, not the follow up kind).  Should I switch to the Follow Up formula? It claims to have added iron? But the regular kind does too.. any input?  She does eat chicken, very little beef, eats cheerios. Those all have iron. Is that enough?

#2 - When we eat supper, she refuses to sit there and watch us eat. She goes into panic mode as if she's starving.  Her bedtime bottle is always 3-4 oz more than she normally takes in a day (typically takes 4-6oz, bedtime is 9oz+).  Do you think its time to start adding in supper time meal?? We added lunch in just a few weeks ago so I was a little surprised that she is acting as though she is ready already for supper now too.

Thanks!

Lisa

Offline Karin3

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
Re: Iron question & Supper question
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 01:58:53 am »
I think I read somewhere that most formula babies are good with iron.  I think BF babies have trouble sometimes.  If you've started finger foods you could try winter squashes and sweet potato (softly cooked and cubed).  I think those are naturally high in iron.  Here's an article: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/Iron.htm

She certainly sounds like she's ready for the 3rd meal.  We added our 3rd meal in pretty soon after we added the 2nd, and it quickly became Mimi's biggest solid meal of the day.  Maybe just start with a little snack.  It might be social too.  She sees everybody else eating, and she's thinking that she wants to be like everybody else in the family.  ;)  KWIM?  Usually, Mimi eats her big meal before us, then she snacks on whatever we're having.
Karin
Stepmom to Caroline, 10 years old

daybyday

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 02:40:28 am »

She certainly sounds like she's ready for the 3rd meal.  We added our 3rd meal in pretty soon after we added the 2nd, and it quickly became Mimi's biggest solid meal of the day.  Maybe just start with a little snack.  It might be social too.  She sees everybody else eating, and she's thinking that she wants to be like everybody else in the family.  ;)  KWIM?  Usually, Mimi eats her big meal before us, then she snacks on whatever we're having.

Must agree totally...DD started cereal slowly at about 5.5 months...once she started veggies/fruit, she took off! we started her on her 3rd meal (dinner) last week and she LOVES it...she's more content and doesn't make quite the fuss... She eats a little earlier too and then gets to "play" with her food while we eat....

I'm not sure about her FF...I weaned DS to the Follow up and he loved it...I guess I never thought about the iron...

HTH Marie

binxyboo

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 02:50:34 am »
For dinner time, we let Riley eat bits off our plates, like veggies, fruits, whatever. He loved being part of the festivities.

8 months old already, it seems like literally yesterday you were posting on here about starting solids!

shimzy

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 03:30:48 am »
Thank you ladies so much  ;D

She doesn't seem to have problems with her iron. She has energy and such and her poos really are wonderful  ;D

Her afternoon bottle is at about 3pm(ish) so give "supper" at say 4/4:30 and just let her pick at our supper? I can do that. I am sure she will enjoy it immensley  ;D

Michelle - Isn't it crazy how fast the time passes?

She pretty much only does finger feeding and or being fed from my fingers. She HATES spoons and forks  :P I don't know why *shrugs* Lil Miss Independent I guess  :D

binxyboo

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 04:21:35 am »
Riley loved being fed from my fingers, even now when he is teething it is sometimes the only way to get something into him.

I think we did dinner later than 4, 'cos of our family situation, and it worked out fine.