Author Topic: HELP! Could this be teething?  (Read 1126 times)

Offline bubbasmomma

• Mom of a Touchy Sweetheart
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • Whaddup???
HELP! Could this be teething?
« on: March 31, 2007, 05:15:32 am »
My 5 mo old dd has only been eating 2 oz rather then her usual 4 since early this morning.  She slept last night from 7-5am, but still, just at 2 oz, then 5 minutes after eating, she threw it all up in her bed.  Then she had another 2 around 7am.   I bet she has only had maybe 18 oz total today.  We have been battling with severe constipation for about a month, and yesterday she actually tore her anus with a really hard bm.  After that, it all was very soft.  Today she has had tons of LOUD gas with super loose bm's.  She cried for a couple hours before going down for bed, and woke after about 45 min, had to be rocked back down, and woke at 11pm, ate just 2 more oz.  I don't know if this is a big deal.  Since it is the weekend, I can't make an appt or call her regular doc, so I don't know how long to wait before taking her into the Instacare to see the oncall doc.  HELP!
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: HELP! Could this be teething?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 05:33:42 am »
It could be teething, but I suspect it may be intolerance to the formula. What kind and type are you using? Deffinitly set up an appointment with your doctor on Monday, if constipation is bad enough to tear then she needs to be seen.
Kimberly

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 19:41:48 pm »
Were you able to get Kahlen seen by a doctor on the weekend?

Has your lo always suffered from constipation?  Is your lo purely on a milk diet or has she been introduced to any solids?
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline bubbasmomma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • Whaddup???
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 03:49:32 am »
She has been on Formula for a little over a month now, started milk based, and she got really fussy, so switched to soy, and has been ok until now.  I got her in Sunday morning, but the oncall doc was really no help, I paid 25 bucks to be told to wait a day or so to clear up on its own, or bring her back in ( and pay again.)  DH suggested trying another formula as well.  It is weird, after that bad bm on Thurs, she has had major loose stools, blowing out of several diapers, pooping somethins 5 times a day!  We have been using the Sam's Club Members Mark Soy.  Her reg doc said there is really no difference in the formulas, so we have been buying that for cost reasons, but if that is the problem, I don't care about money!
I had started a little rice cereal a few weeks ago, every now and again, but nothing too serious, and since she got so constipated last week, I dropped in completely until we figure it out. 
Could it take a few weeks for formula problems to arise?  I have heard good things about Good Start, is taht a good one to try?  I am at my wits end, cuz she is eating a TEENY bit more per day, only about 20 oz today, but that is better than Sat, when it was 12 or so in a 24 hour period. 

I just really worry cuz she has been way more fussy than usual (which is already more than the average baby) so I have been just really emotional and moody.  I hate when I know sometihng is wrong and I don't know what! 
sorry if this post is confusing, I am tired and just typing away, not checking if it flow, so I hope you can make sense of it all!

Thanks for your help!

Anissa

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 11:31:34 am »
Soy formula can sometimes cause constipation, have you concidered trying a milk based lactose free formula? There are so many factors to formula's, consult your reg doctor and see what they have to say. What you describe sounds to me like an intolerance.
Kimberly

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 19:36:48 pm »
I agree Soy Milk can be really constipating.

I would also watch out for the Rice Cereal as this can be very constipating too.

My DS suffered terribly with constipation as a baby, and we found that when he was really constipated, he would not drink much at all.  It is probably cause they feel so bloated, so don't feel as hungry.

I agree with Kimberly, I would discuss with your doctor about the possiblity of an intolerance and changing your formula.

Keep us posted on how you get on.
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline bubbasmomma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • Whaddup???
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 20:03:33 pm »
Thanks so much ladies, I will keep you all posted.