Author Topic: Routine problem?  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Andrea(aka Jersey)

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • My Babies
Routine problem?
« on: March 31, 2007, 18:59:16 pm »
This is our average routine.

8:30 up for day
9:00 eat (3.5oz)
9:15 a
10:00 S (this is usually 30 -45 minutes I try to extend it but usually have to give up after 30 -40 minutes and end up putting him in the swing without swinging)
12:00 E (3.5 oz)
12:15 A
1:00 S ( same as above but if him seems overtired  try to eextend by going for a wal because he s;eeps in his strooller)
3:00 E (3.5oz
3:15 A
4:00 S (usually a good 1.5 - 2 hour nap Sometimes I even have to wake him up to eat. I don't think I'm doing anything differently here to get him to sleep)
6:00 Bath
6:30 E (1-2 oz not really hungry not sure why)
7:00 S (30-45 minutes because he wakes up hungry)
8:00 E (3.5 oz)
8:15 S
10:00 E DF (4-5 oz)
1:30 E 4 oz))
3:30 E 4 oz))at these feeds he is waking every 2 hours starving he drains the bottles and would drink more if
5:30 E 4 oz))there was more. Sometimes I have to make another bottle so he'll stop crying and go to sleep.
7:30 E 4 oz))

So I have a couple of problems.

First of all I'd like to sleep in a little later.
Second I'm not sure why he's waking up every 2 hours after 1:30 am. If he didn't wake so much I wouldn't mind waking up at 8:30am
Third I'd like to extend his naps. I put hime down as soon as I see him yawn 45-1 hour after waking. Is that too early maybe?
He's 9 weeks old would some more awake time help?
He also has reflux. So we've finally gotten over no naps a couple of weeks ago.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Andrea

Offline ratfly

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 09:38:34 am »
ok. Now I dont really know what I am talking about (only been a mum for 10 weeks..), but seems like your night and day routine could do with a swap around. How about trying to feed him every 2 1/2 hours in the day, so he can get more calories down him do he doesnt need to feed so often at night.
My DS is in a vague 2 1/2 - 3 hour routine in the daytime, which tends to switch to a 4 hour routine at night. Try waking him earlier so he can get more feeds in - 7.30 ish (if he normally feeds at this time) 9, 11.30, 2, then perhaps 4.30, 6.30, 8? that would be 7 feeds instead of 6 in the daytime. then a df at 10 or so. Can you increase the amount he takes at any of these feeds too?

Good luck! It is horrible to have broken nights, I hope it sorts itself out soon.

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • My Babies
Re: Routine problem?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 14:52:03 pm »
I'm trying  pretty much that right now. I've beendoing it for a couple of days. He now takes 4 oz at every day feed instead of 3.5 oz. He slept last night from 10 to 5am. But he was also very over tired from not napping during the day so this may have just been catch up. Im also going to try giving him his bath at 7:30 instead of 6:30 so he goes to bed a little later he seems to get his best sleep after his bath.

I'll let you know what works.

Andrea

Offline hatshetsut

• Formerly hollyj
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
  • Peekaboo!
    • Global Tots Travel Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 16:00:17 pm »
Ok, lets see. Here are a few of my thoughts...

1. Your first A time will be probably your shortest, since the first nap is an extension of night time sleep. If you can manage 40 mins on this one that isn't bad. I want to say on average most 9 week olds do about 45 min to 1 hour of A time at this stage.

2. If he will guzzle down at bottle at night lets see if we can switch that to the day.  Try offering 4-5 oz all day. You could also try clustering the evening feeds more closely to increase his day intake do a 3, 5, 7 and 830 top off, then a 1000 DF. Also, some times with reflux babies they recommend smaller feedings closer together, perhaps every 2.5 hours?

3. What are you doing for nap extension? pt/sh?

4. Does he take a pacifier or dummy? I used to offer that at night instead of feeding to try and stretch out the night time feeds.

5. Is he swaddled?

hope some of this helps ya.

Holly
Abigail - Defines Spirited! - 5-1-06

Katherine - Is a mystery wrapped in a cute package - 4-13-10

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • My Babies
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 17:23:36 pm »
I'll try to shorten his first A time.

I'm also offering more oz during the day.

I always try ptt/sh for nap extensions but it seems quite useless as when he's awke he refuses to sleep and pat/shh seems to get him more upset.

I've tried many kinds of pacifiers and he won't take any. He spits them all out immediately.

I do swaddle but he gets out of it very easily. I've ordered the miralce balnket and am waiting ofr that.

Andrea

Offline hatshetsut

• Formerly hollyj
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
  • Peekaboo!
    • Global Tots Travel Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 17:52:46 pm »
I had the Miracle Blanket, it totally rocked!! That will probably help some.

I would definitely try the cluster feedings @ 3, 5, 7 & 830 before bed and see if that makes any difference.

My LO wasn't big on pat/shh either, but she did take a pacifier which helped us tons. I will admit, I am better w/ the routine stuff, and not as good a the nap extension stuff. Sorry  :-\  I hope the cluster feeding helps!
Abigail - Defines Spirited! - 5-1-06

Katherine - Is a mystery wrapped in a cute package - 4-13-10