Author Topic: HELP! 23-month-old suddenly won't go to bed!!  (Read 2513 times)

Offline Mich36

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
HELP! 23-month-old suddenly won't go to bed!!
« on: April 02, 2007, 01:11:04 am »
Hello,

I'm new here and really need some ideas.  My 23-month-old (previous Angel baby!) suddenly will NOT go to sleep at naptime or at night.  He is fully capable of climbing out of his crib and does so at every turn.  He gets down to sit in a chair, get a book, pick up lint, you name it.  I tried converting his crib to a big boy bed and that did not interest him at all.  I'm pretty sure he's teething, but I am doing about all I can for him in that department.  This is not a pleasant experience, needless to say, but it's not like I need to just sit in there until he falls asleep.  He doesn't want to sit with me and "wind down" for awhile either.  Just roam....  Just prior to bedtime, he has a bath with 4-year-old brother....then they have a quiet period before going to bed.  The older son goes later.  Currently, I am about to hit the 2-hour mark tonight of putting him to bed.  I normally take him to bed at 7:45 but some days are later.  Part of me feels he is catching up on some sleep and could be over-tired, but I don't know for sure.

I'm at my wits' end and could use some suggestions, or at the very least, someone to tell me this phase will pass soon!  :)

Thanks so much!

m

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
Re: HELP! 23-month-old suddenly won't go to bed!!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 18:20:33 pm »
What's happening with naps?  any changes in routine? 

i did find around age 2 that sleeping became a bit variable with naps starting later or being a bit shorter and bedtime getting later.  That, coupled with some determined toddler behaviour can make bedtime a bit of a challenge.  i'd keep putting him in bed--no verbalizing nothing and hopefully he will grow sick of the 'game"