Author Topic: White noise for a toddler  (Read 5340 times)

Offline Ewan's Mummy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 19:10:28 pm »
I've ordered a Marpac 980 sound machine from the US, it's due any day now so I'll let you know what it's like when it arrives.  We use a fan at the moment even when it's cold, I just pop it in the corner out of the way facing away from the cot and it doesn't affect the temperature of the room at all. 

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: White noise for a toddler
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 22:47:49 pm »
Lety - thats exactly what it is. Something as a constant noise to help babies relax and sleep. Its also very helping to block the outside noise (dogs barking, traffic if you live on a busy street, construction work or sibling screaming next door  ;)). My lo is a very light sleeper and a simple sneeze will wake her right up so we've been using white noise since she was about 3-4 months. I've been using a fan, some use humidifiers or there are actual special white noise cd's. Some even put the radio on a non-channel so that there is constant "static" noise.

hth a little
Layla

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline LeesMom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2007, 23:45:15 pm »
Amanda-
We have used a fan in DD's room for several months and it works like a charm blocking out household noise and the noisy neighbors across the street  ::)
However, yesterday our power was out and I was really worried about what I was going to do at bedtime as the fan wouldn't work and she woke up from her nap early when the power went out and her fan stopped  :o . I rushed out to buy a sound machine that runs on batteries and ended up getting the Homedics Sound Spa Sound Machine ($20 from Bed Bath and Beyond). The "waterfall" setting sounded the closest to her fan. Anyway, she went to sleep fine and slept all night, no problem. It also can be plugged in instead of batteries and has 4 other sounds, but I think the waterfall is more "white noise-ish".
HTH
--- Jenny
Jenny

Offline leticia

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2007, 17:18:09 pm »
Thanks Layla- I'll see what I can find around the house.....Lety.

Offline a_astorga

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Giorgio Barone 02/01/05
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2007, 17:50:00 pm »
Thanks Jenny, I'll see if I can find it.

Bye,

Amanda

binxyboo

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 03:40:02 am »
Well, I got the conair machine from Target, available online only, cost about $28 total, which was more than I wanted to spend, but got it anyway.

I personally really like it, esp the water sounds. I have noticed it takes Riley longer to go to sleep with it on though :-\  And then this is what happened last night about 3 am ish. We cosleep, so I felt him touching me and saying, "Moma, Moma?" I woke up, and he was sitting up on the bed, pointing to the machine, saying, "Wa-wa's wet! Wa-wa's wet!" (Water is wet).
 Cute but not what I want to hear at that time of the morning!

I am going to give it a few more days to see if it will have any benefit, and I really find it soothing for me, but not so much for Riley so far. I will try different sounds, but some of them are a bit annoying to me, like the birds chirping etc.

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2007, 03:46:21 am »
Oh Binx... Riley is so gorgeous  ;D. I know what you mean about the birds chirping.... seriously how could you fall asleep to that!!! (just me thou). Thats exactly what happened here too. Was ok with the fan for a few days and then asked me to take it out  :-\. So its back to no fan, no white noise and back to praying that J doesn't wake her up if/when she herself starts waking up that early.

I personally would love to fall asleep to water sounds. Give him a few more days to get used to

:-*

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

binxyboo

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2007, 04:41:15 am »
Thank you, I think he is pretty precious too! ;D

I'll report back if we have any progress ;)

binxyboo

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2007, 14:23:03 pm »
Yeah, I couldn't get it at Walmart either, they had a similar one, but not all the options which I wanted.

Last night I did rain, and I heard him wake once during the night, but it didn't disturb him and he didn't comment on the sound either. So we'll see how it goes.