Author Topic: what do u do for and 'out for the day' nap?  (Read 1451 times)

Offline yaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
what do u do for and 'out for the day' nap?
« on: April 06, 2007, 19:16:10 pm »
Today i went to visit my grandmother and its about 1 hr drive there. We were goign out for lunch so I figured I would go late mornign so DS would nap and hr in the car then we could have lunch and he could nap another hr on the way back....as always and toddlers being totalyl unpredictable, this didnt happen! He didnt nap on the way and then got himself all overtired and stroppy , passed out on the way back but woke after only 45mins and was in a real state!  I managed to get him down a little earlier for the night but have been filled with thoughts of ' until he outgorws naps we are stuck at home for naps' !!!!
How do u all go about it? Just accept a shorter or no nap on these occsasions?

Offline LucyA

• Showing Appreciation 204
Re: what do u do for and 'out for the day' nap?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 19:24:32 pm »
This isn't going to be much help, but we honestly do anything we can to avoid having to do naps anywhere but home. The only exception to this is plane travel, where we're sure he'll sleep, until recently b/c he would bf to sleep on takeoff, now he'll still go to sleep b/c he's being held.

I have a friend with a ds the same age, and they often go out and about all day on the weekend. Her ds will usually nap in the pushchair, although often not for more than 45 minutes, but they just deal with the cranky toddler that results...
Lucy

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 19:35:50 pm »
hey sweetie! Long time no 'see'!  DS is so used to sleeping in his cot as I almost never have him out at naptimes and I think this is why he finds it so hard to just crash out when hes tired...verylimitting tho!

binxyboo

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 19:39:35 pm »
We don't do it often, only if it's neccessary, travelling somewhere for example,but I just take my chances and deal with it.

I don't plan it on a regular basis 'cos it's just no fun for anyone when he is tired. Is his sleep better in general lately?

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 20:16:00 pm »
I don't often do it if I can, but today she slept for 45 mins in her buggy at 12pm (earlier than usual) and she was zonked going to bed at 7pm, so I have my fingers crossed.  I would normally have put her to beda earlier but we got busy in the garden and it went by the board. 

binxyboo

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 20:22:27 pm »
Has Kaleb really never slept on you, beside you, even as a newborn?
I have heard of babies like that, I find it fascinating as they are so different to Riley!

Offline LucyA

• Showing Appreciation 204
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 20:42:00 pm »
It's funny how they can be so different! Callum only napped on me for the first 4 months! Then I found bw...
Now he still much prefers co-sleeping, although he'll sleep in his cot too.
Lucy

binxyboo

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 20:45:03 pm »
Riley is a little snugbunny, always has been, albeit a feisty one at times!
 I love watching him nap now, it's funny to see him lying there all on his own.

Offline Isabella's Mummy (Lilab4)

• Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 20:45:41 pm »
Stacy - So glad you posted that. Isabella won't be helped to sleep either! She will sleep in her stroller (only 20 -30 mins), but will no way sleep on or beside us. If we are around it's playtime!!! Often if we try to help her, she gets mad and it makes the whole thing worse! I thought it was just us. To be honest sometimes it makes me feel a bit useless, but I know on the whole it is a good thing. Good luck with the plane Stacy x
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 21:04:23 pm »
Stacy - Isabella is exactly the same. When I try to do the wind down with her, she starts jumping up and down in the cot. I can read to her and all (and I still try  :-\) but she's there getting all hyped up so I make it really short. There was a time when she wanted a longer wind down (& it really worked - when the baby was born) but not lately. She will not sleep anywhere but the cot and if I am around, she's playing. The minute I leave, she lays down and starts talking to her teddy until she falls asleep. If Jasmine sees me at bedtime or naptime, she'll scream until I pick her up. With her there is absolutely no wind down - just place in the cot and she starts sucking on her blanket and falls asleep. She did sleep with me for 4 months (in my bed and on me) but after being sleep trained, she won't have any of it. It is weird and I kinda miss that but whatever works for them hey???
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 21:28:50 pm by Isabella&Jasmine's mum »

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline Mum to cool dude

• Seven Of Nine
  • Showing Appreciation 52
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 21:33:40 pm »
I guess the grass is always greener ... DS goes for naps happily enough at nursery but at home he's only gone done easily in his cot a couple of times so he usually naps in the car or in the stroller. It would drive my DH bonkers to have to be back home for naps so I guess it's working out OK but on the occasions when it's just DS and me at home I would just love for him to sleep happily in his cot !

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 05:01:32 am »
I am so jealous Stacy.....!
How long does it take him to fall asleep?

Offline Isabella's Mummy (Lilab4)

• Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 21:45:22 pm »
Stacy - Isabella is just the same. Although we did struggle with early wakings before Christmas, things have changed since. She often wakes at 6.30, but she chats and giggles until I get her up nearer to 8!! I thought she slept until 8, then we put her monitor in our room and discovered she does wake up. She has 10-20 mins where she goes quite every so often, so we think maybe she dozes on and off until we get her up. I'm scared now that I've posted this that I will have jinxed it!!! Fingers crossed I haven't and this continues. You can't win though, cause as lucky as we are that she is like this, I really wish I was able to help her sleep. When she does wake in the night, or won't nap I just don't know what to do. Also sometimes I just want a cuddle and we don't get those either. Very Miss Independent!!
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80