Author Topic: When should I go to a 4 hr routine?  (Read 1134 times)

Offline gisele

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 19, 2007, 20:23:03 pm »
My dd is 10 weeks today, and she is on a 3 hr routine, with a DF at 11. Most of the time she sleeps through the night until 6:30 or 7.
I was wondering if and when i should go from a 3 hr routine to a 4 hr routine? DO I need to do a 3 1/2 hr routine first? or should i jusdt extend it to 4??

What would you suggest I do? and at what point?
She is only eating 4 oz in each bottle. sometimes less. she doesn't seem to want more than  that.. that's why I am not sure weather or not I should extend her feedings ... Also, her naps are anywhere between 30 min, and 2 hrs. (4 a day) (they change a lot)

Thank you for all your help!

Isabella's mom

Offline macsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 111
Re: When should I go to a 4 hr routine?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 20:24:16 pm »

the general rule is 4 months- 4 hour easy.
I extended the time between feeds gradually.

Emma
Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

Offline gisele

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 20:27:38 pm »
Thanks for your answer! I was also wondering, when the time comes to extend her routine, how do you do it? I start her day at 7 and usually put her to bed at 7:30 PM. if i go into  a (let's say) a 3 1/2 hr routine, that would put my last feeding at 8:30 or so (that;s after her bed time)... I guess that that is what keeps me confused... how do you do that?

Or do you just start and end the day at the same time always??

Thank you!

Isabella;s mom

Offline macsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 111
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 20:29:46 pm »
don't forget the longer between feeds the more she will eat and therefor will have less feeds in a 24hr day

Emma
Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

Offline Nicky300106

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 08:24:53 am »
Hi,

Did you manage to change to a 4 hour feed?  I'm in the same situation as you, my daughter is 12 weeks today on a 3 hourly feed & I want to change to 4 hourly but not sure about the last feed - like you said at 20:30 - this seems too late??

Offline gisele

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 15:58:01 pm »
Hi Niki,
I am still in the middle of it. She is doing a longer schedule though. I feed her at 7 Am and then try to stretch her schedule but I don;t let her be hungry, most of the time she will go for 3 and 1/2 hrs. and sometimes 4. So it just depends...
As far as the last feeding,I feed her before she goes to bed (around 7:30, after her bath) no matter what time she ate last.
For instance, yesterday she ate at 5:30 Pm and I fed her again at 7:30.(because it was before she went to sleep). It is almost like cluster feeding at the beginning ,I think, while they are transitioning. eventually they will stretch out enough so she will feed at 3 Pm and then 7. I also do a DF at 11 , and she is sleeping through the night.

Good luck to you!
Ps. I wouldn;t push her... just try to watch her cues and for now elongate her schedule a little, eventually she will get there :)

Gisele