Author Topic: 8 month old activity time /routine question  (Read 823 times)

Offline Clarepie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
8 month old activity time /routine question
« on: May 04, 2007, 09:31:13 am »
Hi all,
My LO is nearly 8 months old and on a good routine I think.She has recently extended her awake time to 4 hours,sometimes a little over.She does this from waking in the morning,and again after her morning nap.My problem with this,is that i'm wondering if she's getting enough naptime during the day.Depending on when she wakes in the morning,usually between 6 and 6:30,she has between 1hr 30 to 2 hours for her first nap,then about an hour for her second.This is her typical routine at the moment..

6:00/6:30 wake
7:00 Bottle 5-6 oz
8:00 Breakfast (cereal with 3 1/2 oz milk)
10:00/10:30 nap
12:00 wake and bottle (6 oz)
1:00 Lunch (2tbsp veg & 2 tbsp fruit)
4:00 nap
5:00 wake then tea (2-3 tbsp meat & veg & 1-2 tbsp fruit)
6:15 bath
6:45 bottle (6-8oz)
7:00 Bed

I don't watch the clock as have had problems with her naps in the past,when i've put her down too early and she wakes after 40 mins.I read her cues,and know now when she is ready to go down for a nap.The past couple of mornings,she has woken at 5:30,she has eventually gone back to sleep after chatting to herself for a while.I don't know whether this is due to her nap routine or that the birds outside are waking her up.She's also rolling over more now and sitting on her own unsupported,so could be a developmental thing.Does this routine look ok,would it make a difference if I swapped the 2 hour nap to the afternoon,but then she probably wouldn't be tired enough for bed when getting up at 5pm.I posted this in Activity Time,but got no replies,so would be grateful for any advice.Thanks

Offline hatshetsut

• Formerly hollyj
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
  • Peekaboo!
    • Global Tots Travel Blog
Re: 8 month old activity time /routine question
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 09:55:45 am »
My first response would be, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If she is going back to sleep on her own at 5am, sounds like she is a great baby. I wouldn't be too concerned. It is probably developmental and she is in having fun w/ herself ;D. My DD does that from time to time. My rule is if she isn't crying I don't go in, unless it is her wake up time of course.

Just a thought to keep in the back of your head.... If she is pulling 4 hours of A time, she is getting close to going to the 2-1 nap switch. If she starts fighting naps, especially the AM nap, you might want to drop the AM nap, do lunch at 1130 or 1200, then a long nap at 1. But I don't think you are quite there yet!
Abigail - Defines Spirited! - 5-1-06

Katherine - Is a mystery wrapped in a cute package - 4-13-10

Offline Grace's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 142
  • Oh Trader Joes, How I Love You
Re: 8 month old activity time /routine question
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 01:54:11 am »
Yeah, I think all lo's go thought the 5am wake up phase.  We had this at around 5 months (when she started sitting, etc.).  However like Holly said, don't go in!  ;) You don't want her to think it's time to start the day or she'll never go back to sleep and then it will become a habit. 

She is getting 11 hours at night and 3 hours during the day and that is PERFECT!  14 hours of sleep at this age is the average amount of time a lo needs. 

However if she starts to wake and not go back to sleep then you may have too much day time sleep and then you will need to adjust but until then you are good to go.

I know for us a shorter 1st nap and longer 2nd nap really helps as it's so important to make sure they get really good sleep before bed.  I know it sounds odd, but good sleep begets good sleep you know.  It's up to you if you want to switch her naps, but if it's working, I wouldn't change it.

You are doing GREAT!
I am so in love with my husband and adore my precious Grace

Grace April 2006
Blog: http://graceadelyn.blogspot.com/