Author Topic: Dr. Sear's Elimination Diet  (Read 1204 times)

Offline klindsey11

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Nathan 12.19.06
« on: May 21, 2007, 00:45:25 am »
Hi everyone.  My DS Nathan is 5 mo. old.  He has been battling eczema for about 2 months now and after trying ineffective methods to get it under control, we finally did after finally seeing a competent dermatologist!  He also suggested that I cut out highly allergy-prone foods from my diet to see if it will help with his skin.  We already know that DS mostly like has MSPI (he can't stomach reg. formula nor soy formula).  The dermatologist suggested that I start out by cutting out dairy, soy, nuts and eggs, but I just found out about Dr. Sear's Elimination diet.  Has anyone tried it?  Is it doable?  After doing it for 2 wks, is there any rhyme or reason as to what foods you introduce back?  I haven't read up on it too much yet.  I'm curious as to what your experience was with it.  Thank you!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Dr. Sear's Elimination Diet
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 11:50:46 am »
Never did it myself but I've heard GREAT things about it and would highly recommend it based on that. A link follows here with some details and instructions. Good luck! http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T041200.asp
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline tmhill

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 18:43:42 pm »
I didn't do the acutal sears elimination diet - but I did eliminate ALL common allergin foods from my diet when my son was about 3 months old (he had diarreah for a month).  I is do-able.  I mostly ate meat, beans, rice and veggies.  I ate a lot of bacon for breakfast - you can have rice check's type cereal as well.  I don't recomend rice milk (it's nasty).  I lost TONS of weight.  This diet didn't actually work for us because I ate a lot of potatoes.  When my son started eating foods and I introduced potatoes to him - he had diarreah really bad.  So I think that was the one thing that I should of eliminated.  I say try it.  If it works GREAT.  I would add back some of the least allergenic foods first - one week at a time.

Good Luck.  Let mek now if you have any other specific questions.  I have A LOT of experience with a high allergenic baby!
Kara

Offline fitfamily

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 04:24:49 am »
I too did not do a formal Sears elim. diet.  I just cut out the main allergic foods: Dairy , Soy, eggs, nuts.  I saw a huge improvement in my ds's skin.  No more rough spots.  I too lost too much weight.  Make sure you eat a bunch of olive oil and or an omega 3 supplement.  You and your baby need it.  My favorite meal... rice, black beans, onion powder and broccoli.  It's actually yummy.

I did have to give up my soy lattes.  I reluctantly substituted rice milk.  Now, I'm used to it.

Offline motherof3

• Andrea, Paul, Jackie, Payton and Abby
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 16:57:59 pm »
Abby is MSPI but I never had to do the elimination diet b/c she was on Neocate.  But here is a great message board and most of the moms have/are doing the elimination diet  http://www.quicktopic.com/23/H/aSxbbAkUULVMX

Andrea
Jackie 3/10/01
Payton 9/23/03