Author Topic: What would you do? Re: Soy Milk  (Read 1365 times)

Offline SAHNE

• Proud momma to Carter, Turner, and one angel baby!
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
  • The two little beasties who have stolen my heart!
What would you do? Re: Soy Milk
« on: May 29, 2007, 02:01:45 am »
DS is 14 mons. and has tested positive for egg, peanut and milk allergies at 6.5 mons.... so I'm not sure he's considered MSPI or MPI or not. He tested negative to a soy and wheat allergy.

I bf him for 6.5 mons on a milk free diet, then switched him to Alimentum after getting frustrated w/ trying to eliminate other foods from my diet and in combo with learning about his egg allergy (peanut came later).

We switched to soy formula at 9 mons as directed by the allergist. However we tried to switch to soy milk at 12 mons and he had slight skin rash (most of his reactions are skin/eczema related) so I went back to formula.

Now I'm in the middle of his 2nd soy milk trial and he did just perfect for six days, then began getting skin rashs/eczema (not sure the difference) at different spots, that stayed for a day or two, then cleared. He also had some looser stools for a day, but that has improved too. He's been on it for 12 days now. Is this normal for an adjustment?  I haven't added any other new foods.

We've also had troubles adding other foods - now he eats g. beans, peaches, pears, sweet pots, carrots, turkey and chicken. Grains have been the hardest (causing the worst skin problems for him.)

What should I do? Keep up the soy milk for a few more days? Stop and try in another month?

Thanks. I appreciate your help.
Steph

-Steph

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: What would you do? Re: Soy Milk
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 13:33:25 pm »
If the loose stools and skin reactions cleared up it may have just been an adjustment - how is he now? Even if he tested negative to other allergens he could still have a digestive allergy or intolerance to them. Is he on probiotics?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline SAHNE

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 19:32:49 pm »
His stools aren't back to normal yet (although he's also teething :P), however his skin is clear today.  We tried probiotics once, but his skin flared up to that too.  I need to research a milk-free one.  Is it okay to give it a few more days on the loose stools w/o doing more harm to him than good?!

Thanks,
Steph
-Steph

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 00:48:56 am »
If he has no other symptoms than the loose stools and isn't in any discomfort I'd wait until the teething is over. If the loose stools continue then discuss cutting out the soy with your dotor. As for probiotics, I believe both Nature's Way Primadophilus for Children and Udo's Choice for Infants are dairy free - check with your local health market.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline SAHNE

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 04:06:49 am »
Will do, thanks for your thoughts, I really appreciat it! :-*
Steph
-Steph

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 11:24:47 am »
You're welome - good luck and keep us posted!