Author Topic: canned food  (Read 1889 times)

Offline wannabeloved4320

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Nathaniel playing in his exersaucer
canned food
« on: May 30, 2007, 17:12:55 pm »
can you use canned food when making baby food for a 7 month old he just turned 7 months? and is he aloud to have yogurt now? what all can i cook with and can he have? thank you very much.

Offline Freya'sMum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 71
  • 3 gorgeous girls!
Re: canned food
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 20:10:51 pm »
Canned what? I did with dd#1, peaches and apricots were out of season so I got tinned ones in fruit juice rather than syrup and pureed them. I always cook with tinned tomatoes rather than fresh, and the healthy eating gurus count tinned fruit and veg in our 5 portions a day, I'd just buy the 'no added salt or sugar' varieties!

HTH?

Ax
Alison x

Offline wannabeloved4320

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Nathaniel playing in his exersaucer
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 20:24:41 pm »
ok thank you i was just wondering cause some of the iteams dont come frozen that much like some frozen fruits. so it is ok to have canned ones just make sure it says no salt added and make sure it is in water right. also i plan to wash all canned iteams that can be washed. thank you so much. also when can he have yogurt? i need to find alot of cold iteams to feed him cause it is so hot hear.

Offline Freya'sMum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 71
  • 3 gorgeous girls!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 21:11:07 pm »
Well, again, in the uk yogurt can be given from 6 months - I use a natural organic yogurt mixed with pureed or mashed fruit for flavour - much less added sugar this way! I know that doctors in some other countries recommend holding off on yogurt until babies are a bit older - perhaps you could check with your own doctor/health visitor what the suggested age is for where you are? You are obviously not in the uk 'coz it's bloomin' freezing here! :D

Ax
Alison x

Offline Tanners Mom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 03:57:52 am »
Hi wannabeloved4320!
I'm not sure where you are but I'm in the states and I've been giving Tanner yogurt since he was about 6.5 months old. I use whole milk yogurt and I mix in fruit or avocado (or both). He gets it almost every day for lunch. One nice thing is that you can freeze it in ice cube trays and it keeps it's active cultures. Our ped said it was fine to give to him but watch for diaherra. You can learn more about giving yogurt to babies in the book "Super Baby Food" by Ruth Yaron.

Good luck!
~Jaci
Jaci
Mom to Tanner Miles (born 10.13.06) and DS2 (due 10.24.09)